Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Left Handed

Post Thanks / Like

Left Handed

My daughter would like me to teach her to crochet. The problem is that I am right handed and she is left handed and I'm having trouble showing her what I am doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Catdoll,

My son is left handed but he is not into crochet! LOL! Sometimes, with certain things, they say to still learn right handed. I think that I posted a left hand crochet video the other day in the links and resources. She may need to try it both ways and see what is most comfortable for her to learn. Hopefully, we will have some more suggestions for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have your daughter sit in a chair facing you. While you are crocheting, it will look left-handed to her, and she will be able to follow you. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Catdoll,

Pleased to meet you, I am Landon and I am a new crocheter. Is your daughter predominately left-handed? I am left-handed but the only things I actually do left handed are write and catch with a baseball glove. Everything else is right-handed. I crochet right-handed, eat right-handed...etc...Which hand is she move comfortable working with?

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    I am left handed and I agree w/ Irishjl, but would like to add that having her sit opposite from you is neat because if she gets stuck she can hand it directly to you and you can see/fix and not change the direction she is going in...Landon, are you a true lefty and were forced to use your right hand? I was forced, not as bad as those who went to Catholic School, but by family members to use my right hand. It's hard because sometimes I get confused of which hand to use...when I could play tennis, I would serve w/ my left but play w/ my right. I was forced to throw w/ my right hand while playing cricket, if I throw anything now, my mind tells me to do it w/ my left hand but I have no strength and/or cordination to throw w/ my left. But I do eat, write (and due to my disability now shake) w/ my left. The only thing that I just can not do w/ my left hand is cut w/ sissors. Maybe because I don't have left handed sissors, I just can't bear down enough for the cut to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the only south paw in the family. In order to learn there are books to learn to crochet printed in left and right handed instructions,try the library, or craft store. Also youtube.com has videos for left and right handed so you can watch a million times till you master it. i found some books were stupid telling you to watch a right hander in the mirror so that it is reverse image. I'll have a look around youtube and send you the links to the videos when I find them.ok, here's one there are many other video tutorials as well as learn to knit tutorials

Post Thanks / Like
    I am left handed and for years tried to learn from books but never could get the hang of it fully. I made a sorry looking dishcloth. Then by accident I decided to look up crochet videos on Netflix back in November. There I found "I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting!". This video turned my crochet world around. The video shows all the basic stitches in a left-handed window in the corner. After years of barely being able to finish a dishcloth I am now able to crochet. Since November I have stitched two lap blackets, one circular pillow, one 70" evening wrap, two granny square shoulder purses, one scarf and a perfect dishcloth!

The only problem I am running into know is that I would like to try my hand a clothing like a sweater or skirt but I some of the new stitches are move complicated and clothing involves forming which I would love to find a book or DVD for left handers.

If you ever find an advanced crochet book for left handers...please let me know.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mom had a book that showed you how to do it thats how I learned. She also kept telling me it was wrong as she looked at it as the wrong side for her but it was the right way for me so if you crochet remember when she learns that you need to ook at it backwards to the way you would do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I make sweaters and other clothing and am left handed. I use right handed patterns all you do is folllow it and it works great.