Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Granny Squares

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Granny Squares

Hi all
    If anyone is looking for granny square patterns, I have a book loaded with different designs and would be most happy to scan and send to you, both picture and instructions. I once made an afghan for our king size bed with granny squares. Can't remember how many squares it took, but it sure was heavy and really very warm and toasty.

Misty

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Misty...I have tried granny squares and personally I think they are a great way to practice crochet for beginners. I made all sorts of things from them but never something so big as a bed cover...wow, I admire your patience! Really! Cause I have serious issues of that order for example, I would usually look for recipes that would take less than 30 minutes...now I have improved a little especially since I became a mum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi fairynatb
    Its great that you are now a Mom, nothing else is so wonderful. Have you tried to crochet any baby things?. There are so many cute baby things to crochet and they are usually quickly accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also made dozens of things from granny squares. I also like the hexagon shaped pieces though you can't technically call them "squares". You can make scarves, tote bags and even pillows with granny squares. I agree with fairynatb, they are a wonderful way for beginners to learn and grow confident before taking on more challenging projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I've always enjoyed creating granny squares. For me, it's the nice combination of colors which comes out of the final product which amazes me no end. Also, it's also a good way of using my scrap yarns so that nothing is ever wasted. I tried to get back to crocheting using Granny squares, and at first, I didn't know how to connect them which was funny for me because I enjoyed just looking at those lovely squares I created. Finally, later on, I was able to find great ways of putting them together (there are a lot of references on the Internet, you only need to choose one which will be most convenient or easy for you) and one of my first projects when I re-started my crochet career was my laptop cozy. Now I get to see it everyday before I start my online work, which sort of cheers me up since I know I did something beautiful and practical at the same time.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love anything useful and practical...for instance I don't really enjoy getting home ornaments as gifts for birthdays or Christmas since they only sit on the shelf and gather dust (which i have to clean up regularly, of course!). Same for crochet, I like to make something that will be of some use.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have seen granny squares and wondered how hard they are to make. I personally have not taken the time to try them. I really like the way they look when placed in a project!

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Barbi It's not difficult to make Granny squares. It's actually one of the easiest to learn and recommended for newbies since it's kind of a repetitive pattern. I'm sure you'll like it once you get familiar with the way the pattern goes along. I've been "addicted" to creating granny squares ever since I started doing it because it looks great on its own or in combination with other colors. It's also versatile in that you can use your scrap threads for the smaller squares. As of now, I'm trying to create some placemats using the Granny rectangle pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Granny squares are combinations of bunches of double crochet stitches, usually three together, followed a space of one or two chain stitches. At the corners, you do three double crochets, your chains stitches and three more double crochets all in the same corner space and then continue the pattern around each side, increasing the number of double crochet bunches by one on each side of each row. They are really very simple. You'll catch on in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, thats the way I started, making granny squares, I bought several books and just followed the patterns. They are really easy to make and there are so many variations. You can even have flowers in the centres. I made a king size bed cover of squares, big mistake way too heavy and I had to sew a liner on it to keep it from losing its shape.