Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy teaching someone to crochet

I am trying to teach my 9 year old neighbor to crochet. She is so tense! She somehow twists her chain and it is so tight she can't go on. Any advise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I'm also trying to teach an 8 year old and it's hard. She is still pretty much just making chains, but she is getting pretty good at it so we are about to move on. I was thinking that I'd start her on just making small squares, then let her move up in size as we go.
    I think that it's also important to make sure that you have them always insert the hook into the same placeon the chain, for instance I find it easier to insert my hook thru the back loop of the chain and it's always a much neater edge, just something you may like to try.

Looking forward to ready more responses for people that may help me when we move on,
    Lyn

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

It sounds like she is crocheting too tightly. She may need to relax her hands as she is crocheting. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Today my neighbor, Dara, did much better. We are using cotton to make dish cloths. I think she got it! She was excited and wanted to take it home to work on this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats great Mama Jeremy! I tried to teach my girls to crochet when they were young, but didn't have much luck! But now they both sew and one knits! So it wasn't a total loss! Have fun with your "student"! You are opening up a whole new, exciting world for her!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Maryjane, I talked to my neighbors grandma this morning at church. Grandma was so excited that Dara could crochet.Grandma thanked me! I told her the next thing I will teach Dara is how to knit! We live in farm country. Grandma said she was going to make a "farm girl" out of me. I told her to let this "city girl" teach the farm girls crochet and knit and they can do my share of the farming. I am previously from the NYC area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in upstate NY-about an hour north of Albany-between Lake George and Saratoga! But I grew up in southern Dutchess County! Why couldn't a "city girl" teach a "country girl" to knit and crochet?!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, a larger hook may help too...also finger crochet at first might be a way to go until she gets used to the thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Everybody, My neighbor has mastered the chain and single crochet. She walks around with her bag on her arm and crochets all the time. I must sit her down again and teach her how to follow a pattern to make "something". I know I will have all summer as school is out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working with my granddaughter. So far, she is only making chains so she is always making everyone necklaces and bracelets!