Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Yarn Winder

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Winder

I bought a yarn winder and absolutely love it. Balls are center pull and stack beautifully and so fast. BUT - I think it is twisting the yarn and I don't know how to fix that. Any advice appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm- I was looking at one of these the other day. Looking forward to comments from those who have used one of these. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have an electric ball winder by Boye and I love it. I think you are mistaking the thread crossing over back and for as it makes the ball for twisting. It should be alright unless you are having trouble when you pull from the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hand one and really like it.

5. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a hand one,,,, and never had a problem with it, l love it

7. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you say the winder is 'twisting the yarn', what exactly do you mean? Is it getting twisted (or tangled) when being wound? Its been my experience with winders that if the yarns are wound at an even tension that the resulting balls (cakes) will have a very even yarn tension on them.

My suggestion would be that when you are guiding the yarns with your hand into the winder that you keep your tension very even and don't wind too fast to start.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like

An Answer

The tension on the cake is just fine, but the yarn coming off of it has more of a twist to it than it if was coming directly off the skein. I was beginning to think I was going crazy until I found this super explanation from an engineer......

TECHknitting: Ball winders, part 2: avoiding yarn twist

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a yarn ball winder a couple of years ago for Mother's Day and I too absolutly love it! As far as the yarn twisting, watch your tension when your winding your skein. Too tight and it starts twisting the yarn as you are finding out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catherinekay View Post
    I got a yarn ball winder a couple of years ago for Mother's Day and I too absolutly love it! As far as the yarn twisting, watch your tension when your winding your skein. Too tight and it starts twisting the yarn as you are finding out.
    Thanks catherinekay, but I've tried loose tension and tight tension. Neither one made a difference. For a techie computer nerd like me, the engineer's explanation works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always wondered when you wind all your skeins what do you do with the labels so you can get more of this color if necessary? How do you keep them together?