Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Knitting for your Baby

Your hitting your third trimester of pregnancy and you find yourself bored sitting alone at home while hubby is off on his daily grind. You decide that you want to do something in preparation for your baby and it hits you, knitting. Yes, if you are expecting, you might find it very relaxing and really practical to knit for your baby. A bib, a pair of gloves, or a thick receiving blanket, these are just some of the things you can knit for your baby, which will save you money and get you doing something to pass the time. If you are a newbie knitter, you will definitely want to start with the basics of baby knitting. A simple blanket will be a good project to start with.

The first thing you will need to do before you start getting down and dirty with your first baby knitting project is to find a pattern. The pattern will serve as your guide and will tell you what to do exactly for each segment of the blanket. Fortunately, with the emergence of the Internet, finding a pattern is as easy as pie nowadays, as compared to two decades ago when patterns could only be found at a knitting supplies store. Today, knitting patterns for babies can be found through a click of a mouse. Sites like Yarnbazaar.com, Knittingpatterncentral.com, and Lionbrand.com are just some of the popular sites often visited by knitters looking for knitting patterns for babies. Pick a pattern you like and print it out. While you are at it, you can choose the colors for the yarns to use. However, if you are unsure about the gender of your upcoming bundle of joy, you might want to stick to neutral shades such as green, blue, or yellow.

Since you will be creating a baby blanket, you will probably want a pattern that is about 26 by 30 in dimensions as this the typical measurement of a carriage-sized or crib-sized blanket. Typically, a project like this will require you to use a size 11 needle. A slight smaller one will do fine too. The gauge of the needle is not applicable here so don’t bother too much about it. Any gauge will do. As for the yarn, choose acrylic or wool yarns of about 3 skeins will do nicely depending on the yardage. Once you have secured the materials needed for it, follow the pattern to start knitting and stitching up a new baby blanket.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was pregnant with my first child some 29 years ago, I began knitting right away. I made all sorts of hat and booties sets, a bunting, blankets and even dresses once I learned the gender. It was a wonderful pastime and made for some wonderful heirlooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't knit! i did look at the patterns though!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have four grandchildren and I crocheted a fancy baby blanket for each of them. Not very practical, but hopefully meaningful.

5. Likes Theresa L liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Catdoll - I know what you mean. I kept all the handmade things I've made for my children. When my daughter had her baby, I offered the one I had made for her to her. She didn't want them because they were "old". I was crushed. But my son said I should hold them and someday when he has kids, he would love to have them. At least of the kids appreciates what I made.