Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble in Crochet Land

Hi, I am so new that I really do not know what I am doing and where this message will go! There are not a lot of instructions. I am new to crochet and I have found a pattern that I like a lot, it calls for Louisa Harding Yarns' Mulberry, 100% silk and I need a substitute yarn. I have been to several web sites that carry Ms. Harding's yarns and never could I see the label. I know that a lot of patterns call for some very expensive yarns and I am not able to afford all of them and would like to know how to substitute different yarns. I sure hope someone can help me.
    Thanks

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to have you here on site with us! Please take some time to look around and let us know if you have need of anything!

Here is a link for learning about the forums for you:

http://crochettalk.com/introduce-you...ng-forums.html

Post Thanks / Like
    your yarn is \
    Name Mulberry,
    Brand Louisa Harding
    Weight DK / 8 ply (11 wpi) Wraps per inch
    Meterage 136 yards (124 meters)
    Unit weight 50 grams (1.76 ounces)
    Gauge 22.0 sts = 4 inches
    Needle size US 4 - 6 or 3.5 - 4mm
    Fibers 100% Silk
    Texture plied

I highlighted the most important things to look for when looking for a comparable yarn now if the silk is important to you. highlight that as well as for price I am not sure if you can find a silk yarn much cheaper then this yarn you can search DK weight yarns on the internet

Ravelry has a Yarn library just click on the Yarn tab you can browse by fiber or you can click on advanced search just above that.
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 11-20-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and Welcome to ct

Post Thanks / Like
    Silk is not important to me, I am just trying to learn how to tell if a different yarn will work for a project that calls for something like silk. I don't even know the questions to ask.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet only doilies from cotton thread
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not sure about questions you need to ask, except to yourself. The depends totally on what the finished product is supposed to do, so to speak. If you are crocheting a garment of some kind then you want the yarn to feel soft against your skin. I can't imagine using silk yarn for anything other than a garment or maybe a toy? Any pattern can be substituted, it is usually, totally up to you. If you are making a Doiley or a runner or bedspread, something like that, then you can easily and much more affordable sub with Crochet Thread, which comes in (usually) 3, 5, and 10 sizes; the larger the number the smaller the size.
    Also you must look at the number of the silk yarn, if is a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. If the yarn is a 2, which stands for 2 ply, then you should sub with the same consistency.

Im always near the computer, if I made it worse!

Julie