Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Any Gardeners Out There?

I was just wondering if there were any gardeners in the group. Our spring weather has been so unusual. Many people have rushed to start gardens and we could still have a freeze. I have held off planting anything yet but have enjoyed watching everything bloom and start to fruit. I have plums, blackberries and mulberries already developing and I pray a frost doesn't wipe them out. I even saw the local strawberry farm had a stand set up in town already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I live in an apartment and we have planted flowers yesterday in our pots. My best friend has put out tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantelope. Well, here is Oklahoma we have had two nights recently where the temps fell to 34 degrees. Today, it is in the upper 80s. The weather has been crazy. We are thinking his cantelope are not going to make it. Out of 6 plants, he only has one which is left after the cold temps. Everything else so far has survived.

Post Thanks / Like
    I grow a few things in window boxes on my deck-lettuce, peas, beans,etc. I live in the country, with lots of room for a full sized garden, but we have problems with deer eating everything! On the deck, they can't reach the plants!

Post Thanks / Like
    We live in the country in southern Illinois and I am thinking about tilling up the vegetable garden area this weekend if the weather holds. We keep a fence and dogs so the deer aren't much of a problem. I usually don't put anything out till the first week of May, no matter how early spring comes. I have watched friends lose whole gardens by being over eager. I am content to watch the flowers bloom for now. The lilacs & azaleas were beautiful. Now it's the roses and irises. I love springtime.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in central Indiana and my husband and I have already planted most of our vegetable garden. He has covered plants once or twice, and I received a freeze warning for tonight again. All of our fruit trees have already bloomed and have very small fruits, but I am not sure of the outcome. We will see!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Every day that creeps closer to May is one more sigh of relief for the fruit trees. Hopefully, Cindy, You, I and so many others won't lose everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Northern Black Hills of SD, zone 4, going to till garden this weekend, wait until 2nd week of May to plant & pray we don't get anymore frost but if forecast says watch for light frost I will have sprinklers setup, turn them on when dark & let them run allnight. This works for light frost warning but not very well for a hard freeze. Apricots, apples, cherries, currents, gooseberries, juneberries, chokecherries, elderberries also have bloomed, very early, due to very mild winter, so just praying they make it through, good luck to all!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a gardener,too.I live in California so I can plant most of the year. I envy you your berries,they don't grow easily where i live. Our strawberry stands are selling them here. Wish i lived where blackberries grew wild. I have several Hydrangeas, different types and zonal geraniums, in 3 colors and a very small yard. I have a rose bush that is 7 feet tall and 12 feet wide flat against a wood fence to save space. What is your garden like ? What zone are you in mine is zone 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went out to check out the garden and the fruit trees today. Looks like the frosts and freezes have killed almost all of our fruit again. So much for a bumper crop this year

Post Thanks / Like
    How awful! Do the fruit trees get another bloom when the weather warms up again? I've only had lemon ,orange , persimmon and fig trees.The few freezes we've had didn't hurt them.