Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

From Thread to Yarn

Can anyone help?
    I finally found a crochet pattern for a cheerleader outfit for American Girl Doll, got a little to excited and bought it without looking for. It uses size 10 thread!
    My hands and eyes just can't handle that small size any longer. Does anyone know how I can change the pattern to use a thicker yarn? Thanks Susan

2. Likes knittylady liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I am sure you can use different yarn. It will give the pattern a different look. You may also have to adjust your hook size.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did try different hooks and yarn, but it is still to big. I need to reduce the stitches but not sure how to go about doing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I am not sure what stitches you are using but here is a resource on decreasing. Maybe this will help you. If your pattern is consistent throughout, you may be able to decrease the number of stitches throughout the pattern. It is hard to say without seeing the actual pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! You could try using baby yarn or fingering yarn. It's about the size of crochet thread but much easier to work with. You use the same size hook or maybe slightly larger. Have you looked on the internet for another pattern? That may be an option too! Let us know how things turn out!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the pattern has been written for size 10 thread and you want to use something heavier, you will have to adjust your crochet hook AND possibly modify the pattern as well.

The pattern has a gauge given. Based on that gauge if you are using a heavier yarn you will need to work with a much smaller hook.

The alternative would be to use the pattern just as a guide.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the doll in your home you can just stitch to fit the doll and make up a pattern on your own using the thread pattern as a guide as to shape and color. Use increases and decreases to change shape, sometimes having the measurements is more important then the actual stitch count which would change using a larger yarn.

I wish you luck, keep us updated.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, Will let you know how I do. Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    you could try using baby or fingering yarn and a c or d hook. Make some samples and see what works out.

11. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Susan,

What you can do is just use the measurements from the pattern and work to those measurements, using whichever yarn and hook works best for you.

For example, if the bottom of the skirt is supposed to be 10" around, then simply work to 10" on the skirt and don't pay attention to the number of stitches it says you need.

It will take a little bit of practice to get used to this technique but I'm sure you will love it once you do!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

13. Likes Judi Gums liked this post