Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Tunisian tips please

I am getting ready to start my first Tunisian or Afghan stitch afghan, I have watched many tutorials on how too, my question is what it the trick to keep it from rolling on the outer edges??

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, are you a tight stitcher? Blocking and/or putting an edge might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    not really a tight stitcher I tend to have to use smaller hooks to obtain guage. wasn't sure if edging would help it

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been told to use a hook size up since I tend to be a tight stitcher; Try a different hook for edge w/ you guage and see it it helps. Much success.

Post Thanks / Like
    For Tunisian, you need to do your base chain with a smaller hook (opposite from regular crochet) although I sometimes just use the same size. Then, I learned to use a Reverse Stitch to minimize the curl. The only difference between tss and reverse is that you work through the back of the vertical bar instead of the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You that was helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooops - didn't mean to post the video - just the link to the youtube video!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You are welcome to post videos on site. Actually, the site is set up that if you post a link to a video which the site supports - you will see the video in your post! Thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Laura, I'm Dale...I've had the same problem and my crochet club back in Dothan, Alabama (I'm in Maine, right now), gave me 2 hints...1. when crocheting the first row, instead of going into the back loop, go thru the back shaft between the top and bottom chain loop...if you look at the chain, you will see a straight portion of the chain, go under that. Also, keeping the stitches loose helps, but due to the way the tunisian stitch is done, it is going to roll. Blocking after the project is done helps...using a steam iron and a damp towel. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Tunisian crochet is kinda my thing and the best tip I can give is to make the foundation row using a hook one or even two sizes bigger than what is suggested. This keeps the stitches loose as mamadale23 suggested. Good luck on your project and I hope you enjoy tunisian crochet as much as I do!