Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Holidays

Post Thanks / Like

Holidays

Hi everyone,

Do any of you plan on travelling for the holidays this year and where will you be going?. We usually stay home and celebrate. With family all grown with family of their own, it becomes difficult and expensive for them to come home at holiday time.

Its probably silly of me, but I just love to decorate the house for the holidays, it puts me in a festive mood. How about you?.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Misty..I do not think it silly to decorate the house for the holidays since I find any excuse valuable enough to get me taking my tissue papers and stuff to start putting some color on the walls My husband will go "Oh no! Not all your craft stuff again all displayed on the table!" lol.

I have not visited family abroad since I got married but just now, I am on a long visit abroad and enjoying the time I spend with mum, dad, grandad, my two nephews and my sister. My daughter had never met them and just loves them all. My crochet needles and some of my craft stuff came along with me
    By the way, we are in Mauritius and there is amazing sunshine at the moment...the sea is still a wee bit too cold for my taste so we'll wait a little before diving in!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so neat that you are abroad. Good that you took your crochet stuff with you. I bet you can buy different types of your there also. We used to live on one of the Gulf Islands in BC and I would never go in the water at all. Too squeamish, thinking about what might be there that I couldn't see. Today its raining and dull but still fairly warm. Keep clicking those needles and have a great visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning,

I am planning on staying home this year for the holidays. Of course, we will be visiting nearby friends and relatives.

Last year, we did not decorate a lot for the holidays. I am definitely planning on making up for it this year. I really enjoy the holidays and love to make it as festive as possible. I try to get all of my running done ahead of time and buy a few gifts before everyone is going crazy at the last minute.

I enjoy seeing some snow through the winter, but like the roads to be drivable! Last year, I lost my dad and was very thankful to spend a lot of the last few months with him. I learned things that I did not know of him. He knew his time was short and made the most of it. It was very memorable and I am blessed to be given the chance to make the most of it.

What has been your most memorable Christmas past?

Post Thanks / Like
    We spend Christmas at home and alternate between having it here at my house or at my sister's house that lives nearby. I still have children at home and grandchildren that live nearby too. We decorate a great deal but mostly indoors. I would love to do more outdoors but our budget has been too tight the last few years. We can't afford it right now. Still, we take great joy in the whole holiday season. When we lived in the big city, we would visit different neighborhoods to take in the light displays. There really isn't anywhere to do that where we live now but the lights are still pretty.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    I have always spent Christmas with my parents, even when I was living abroad, yet the last two years (since I got married in 2009), I spent Christmas with my husband and it was great that last year my daughter had her first Christmas. So that is one of my best Christmas memory though I know it is not an old one. I also cherish the last Christmas I spent with my grandmother who passed away on new year's day in 2009.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    I always stay home for the holidays. My family is local, so we will be visiting. I too really enjoy decorating and baking Christmas treats!

Post Thanks / Like
    We usually celebrate Christmas here at my house. I put out a bunch of food, and the kids and grandkids come and go all day. It seems to work out for everybodys schedules that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I would love to go see my grand kids, but I will stay home for the same reason. I stop decorating a long time ago. Just have too many other things to do. But, it is nice to see all the lights and other christmas decorations. My mother has so much stuff it is crazy, and she has put up all of it every year, for a very long time after we moved out. I mean my children was adults before she stop; and my mon is in her 70's. So I say good for you enjoy.

If you don't already use a webcam, if possible, it would be a good way to semi be together. I am planning to do that this year and we will prepare the same meal so that when we sit down to eat we'll be enjoying the same dinner together because we will be able to see and talk each other.

I just may decorate thanks to you I thank I will start doing a few things now just so I can get it done.

Thank you
    Last edited by DDC; 09-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our kids are nearly grown, and Christmas just isn't the same anymore for us so we don't really do anything anymore. Between the economy and the stress of trying to decorate and bake and get the right gifts for everyone, it just got to be too much. So we just chill and reflect on the real reason we even celebrate it. I put out a nativity scene and that's it. This probably sounds horrible, but last year was the first year we did this and it was so nice not to be driven crazy trying to get all this 'stuff' done, getting stressed out, and not even enjoying it because you're worried about which family member to please with the right gift, etc etc.