Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question pricing crochet projects.

Hi I'm Alexis, what is the best way to price crochet projects?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi! The best way is to get MORE money
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us. It is very hard to make a price. Everybody tells me I sell my items to cheap but I like to see people happy and some can't afford a big price. If I get the money I paid for the thread I do it for a hobby but I do like to make some money. I don't have a store but I have name cards I give out and when they want something they call me. I do doilies, tablecloths, afghans and baby sets and I started to do cocoon sets and also word of mouth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet forums! Many people who create items to sell will charge two times the cost of the yarn. If the pattern takes two skeins which cost $5 each, then the cost for the item would be $10.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think it s right. I get 5 000 yards at flea market so cheap and I spend 2 months to crochet tablecloth. Do I sell it cheap? I think my time costs something.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

6. Likes Megcsti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how to price my items, either. We have a little gift shop in the building where I work and they have little baby hats and premie crochet hats for sale. All the little hats are priced at $10, which I think is very fair because they're little, they don't use much yarn and they work up quickly.

Shelley

8. Likes Megcsti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link that may help you.

Craft Pricing Formula and Downloadable Calculator

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    I do not think it s right. I get 5 000 yards at flea market so cheap and I spend 2 months to crochet tablecloth. Do I sell it cheap? I think my time costs something.
    Larisa, I completely agree with you! Even with cheap thread, it takes a lot of time to make a good doily, and it took me 6 years to get that good! I have seen thread tablecloths offered for $600 USA and I have seen good doilies offered for $75 to $125. What makes me sick is when I go to the antique shop and see good doilies sold for $1 to $5... I don't know if people are actually selling their work though, but I certainly hope they are. I just give away my thread work, usually as gifts, and I don't even bother to try to sell things made with fine wools or Merino that costs me a lot of money just for the yarns. It costs me $40 to over $100 to do a good garment, which is why I don't make a lot of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alexis,
    I've had people say that they'd pay me for something (not sure what it was) and I didn't know how much to charge but I charge for the yarn + my time + how long it takes to make it if I can figure it out.

Pittsfield, Wisconsin which is 7 miles west of Green Bay
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alexis, I have a difficult time with pricing too. What does help me is to go to craft shows and see what the rates are for the same items and that helps me decide on a price. Your problem is not uncommon with crafters cause you want to make money but you also want to sell your items. Good luck and happy crafting!