Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

New here but not new to crochet

I look forward to making many new friends here. I'm a great-grandmother and I've been crocheting since age 5. My mother taught me a chain and basic stitch when I was 5 to keep me busy and out of her hair while she took care of my baby sister. Over the years there's not much I haven't crocheted and when my kids were little, I even made up my own patterns to make their clothes.

I've only recently started to crochet again. I haven't crocheted very much in the past 20 years but I'm back at it again, making things for a booth I'll have at a holiday market this fall in Olympia, Washington. I also do a lot of Native American style beadwork and my favorite beadwork style right now is done using size 15 beads. The 15's are very small. I use magnifying glasses for it but using the magnifying glasses plus a pedestal magnifying lamp with a light is what I use to thread the very tiny needles. A friend gave me some antique size 22 beads recently. They haven't been manufactured since over 115 years ago in that size. I haven't used any of them yet because they're so precious, but I do plan to use them at some point to make little details in my other beadwork patterns.

I raised my first four kids mostly as a single parent without child support help. And more recently, I raised two grand-daughters from infancy. Both are grown up now. One is a mom to my great-grandson and just graduated from beauty college. The other is newly engaged but they haven't set a date yet. I raised them mostly as a single parent, too, only this time as a widow instead of divorcee.

Just a footnote---I've been sober a little over 30 years. That's been quite the journey.

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Bella

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the crochet forums! It is a blessing to have you here with us! Have a wonderful weekend!

New here but not new to crochet-t8247-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What a life you have had! glad you want to enjoy this site! I'm sure we will learn alot from you and your experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the warm welcomes. It warms my heart. Yes, my life has been quite a life, I have to admit.
    Right now I'm crocheting some shawls as offerings for my booth in the holiday market. I found out about the free table rather late, so I'm hurrying to get a lot of things made.

Have any of you ordered the jumbo balls of size 10crochet thread that Aunt Lydia puts out? I bought a roll of the size 10 white and I'm starting my third shawl just from this one ball of thread. I know there will be enough for another complete shawl and probably with some left over. I just ordered the same kind and size jumbo ball but of ecru color this time, so I'll be making three more shawls out of that roll too.

I'm also collecting up free patterns for little handy items to sell, too, like the crocheted towel holders, cup cozies, scrubby shower things, crocheted wash cloths, etc. I also found a pattern for a tool that slips on over a wooden spoon to make it a bottle washer to get down into baby bottles and other small containers. I think making some of the little handy items should sell well.

I have several sizes and kinds of bead looms that I use to make Native American style items so I'll be threading those up soon to make some hatbands, bracelets, split loom necklaces and chokers. I might try some bead crochet, too.

Right now I'm waiting to move to Olympia. I'm still in Oregon. My youngest son's wife passed away of melanoma a few weeks ago and her memorial service is the 11th. My daughter is coming for that and then I'll go back to Olympia with her and her partner on the 12th. I've lived in an RV for the past two years, but right now I'm staying with my oldest daughter until I leave for Washington. I've been here since June first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
    Thank you for all the warm welcomes. It warms my heart. Yes, my life has been quite a life, I have to admit.
    Right now I'm crocheting some shawls as offerings for my booth in the holiday market. I found out about the free table rather late, so I'm hurrying to get a lot of things made.

Have any of you ordered the jumbo balls of size 10crochet thread that Aunt Lydia puts out? I bought a roll of the size 10 white and I'm starting my third shawl just from this one ball of thread. I know there will be enough for another complete shawl and probably with some left over. I just ordered the same kind and size jumbo ball but of ecru color this time, so I'll be making three more shawls out of that roll too.

I'm also collecting up free patterns for little handy items to sell, too, like the crocheted towel holders, cup cozies, scrubby shower things, crocheted wash cloths, etc. I also found a pattern for a tool that slips on over a wooden spoon to make it a bottle washer to get down into baby bottles and other small containers. I think making some of the little handy items should sell well.

I have several sizes and kinds of bead looms that I use to make Native American style items so I'll be threading those up soon to make some hatbands, bracelets, split loom necklaces and chokers. I might try some bead crochet, too.

Right now I'm waiting to move to Olympia. I'm still in Oregon. My youngest son's wife passed away of melanoma a few weeks ago and her memorial service is the 11th. My daughter is coming for that and then I'll go back to Olympia with her and her partner on the 12th. I've lived in an RV for the past two years, but right now I'm staying with my oldest daughter until I leave for Washington. I've been here since June first.
    Love reading your posts! how about sharing some of your patterns? You are very experienced! I will learn alot I'm sure from people like you!