Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Winding from the hank

I normally use acrylic yarns on a pull skein, but at a recent knit/crochet group we hand died our own hank of wool. This was fun.

Usually it would be wound with a winder, which I don't have, or someone holding it while someone else winds by hand. I got to thinking about what else I could use around the house and found using two of my kitchen chairs back to back and pulling the chairs farther apart to tighten the tension on the hank worked well so I could ball it up. Just thought I would pass that along.

Hope everyone is enjoying their spring.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago, all yarns were sold in hanks instead of how they are sold now. I would sometimes loop the hank over the back of a kitchen chair, or my sister or friend would hold their arms spread apart and I would loop the hank on their arms. If neither a chair or someones arms weren't available, I would sling the hank over my right shoulder and uner my left arm like the strap on a cross body bag, and wind it up that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that would work too. Leave it to us ladies, we can always come up with some innovative ideas.

Thanks
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool; I ONCE tried to make my own. But that loom got the best of me; my hubby says he'll make me one and I would like to try again. Eventrually.

5. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wait I miss spoke; he isn't going to make me a loom, but a spinning wheel; Yeah that's it, I tried that and it got the best of me; I saw some cotton fields and I and was like oh I would like to give making cotton thread a try. Eventually.....lol