Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Teaching

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching

I attempt to teach folks in a senior-living building where I live. Crochet, embroidery, knitting, quilting, even needle=threading . . . if needed. The problem which arises too often is the common excuse: I can't. Exercising the fingers, as well as the mind, is my main objective. I'd love to discover how others are able to engage new students . . . and keep them busy, too. Giggles and grins from someone who refuses to grow old !!!

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mom has taught a lot of people how to crochet. She always starts them out with a basic granny square. It teaches them the stitches and how to change colors. Plus they have something they've made to take with them after the lesson.

Just encourage them to give them the confidence they need. That's all you can do.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to have you here with us! Enjoy your stay among crochet friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome pegnit, Hope you like it here as we are a great friendly family. We need advise, encouragement at time so feel free to answer. Post, like, add patterns, answer question, or ask one. Glad to have you Have FUN !! Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! I cannot teach anyone but myself... doilies for ever
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I may have several students at one session, I teach in a one-on-one method. That means that I patiently re-teach according to each ones ability. I've discovered a method of "rabbit hunting" to explain the basic stitches: sc, dc, hdc, trc. Once the basic stitches are practiced, I encourage the students to combine them in any fashion that they like. That shows them that there are lots of possibilities, even if they only know a few stitches. Some have even invented stitches of their own by accident maybe, but quite interestingly. My main problem is in encouraging old fingers to TRY. When they do, they can surprise themselves. One lady, with a frozen finger joint, discovered a way to hold her hook and yarn. She did it! Took work, but she did it. Yeah!

Post Thanks / Like
    You do great for them! I wish you success.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Teaching: I start by teaching something simple like a dishcloth using the basic single crochet. It's keeps students counting and concentrating. Plus, they get to take the dishcloth home. Students learn how to recognize the single crochet stitch because that's the only stitch we work on for a 1st project.
    You are great lending your time teaching seniors. Welcome to the site.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Pa. Very nice to have you with us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Hi there! I cannot teach anyone but myself... doilies for ever
    I'll bet that you could combine your doilies into a fantastic creation. giggles and grins . . .