Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Smile granny square blanket

hi all,i have just learnt to crochet but at the moment i can only do granny squares i have made one big granny square blanket for my 1yr old niece but i was wondering how do you stop the edges from curling and do you crochet a edge around the blanket

thanks sharon xx

Post Thanks / Like
    I am guessing that you are doing this on your own and not from a pattern? I think afghans look best with a border around them. You can make it however you like, sc, dc or whatever. That may help keep it from curling. I'm not sure why it's curling. Maybe some of the others will have ideas about that.

3. Likes jklm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa L View Post
    I am guessing that you are doing this on your own and not from a pattern? I think afghans look best with a border around them. You can make it however you like, sc, dc or whatever. That may help keep it from curling. I'm not sure why it's curling. Maybe some of the others will have ideas about that.
    thanks theresa,i dont know how to even follow a pattern at the moment, i learnt how to crochet the granny square by watching a youtube clip
    sharon xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharon, The edges are curling because you are putting too many stitches on each side. If you look back on some of the posts on this site, there was a discussion on this topic a few days ago. That might help you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharon....the granny stitch used in all cases require that you do i.e. 2 double crochets , then chain 1, then 2 double crochets again. It makes the corner square. One granny afghan I made = I used three granny squares , then crocheted them together to make the middle section. This would create a rectangular afghan. Your best bet of course, is to learn to do those corners in every type of granny stitch. Hope this hasn't confused you! Agnes

7. Likes jklm liked this post