Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

What am I doing wrong?

It happened again! I just completed a 21" round doily that is supposed to lie flat. However, it has a ruffled effect around the edges. Any one have any suggestions of how to either avoid this in the future or fix it (after the fact)? The stitch gauge is plenty loose, so I know I haven't crocheted it too tightly. I'm hoping if I wash and block it that the problem will go away, or at least diminish considerably. What is your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

I have not done doilies, but we do have members who have been checking in recently who do. With it being Easter weekend - I am not sure of the schedules. Hopefully, some of them will be checking in this weekend.

I would think that blocking and starching will help you in this respect. Be patient and we will have some other members who can help you! Thanks for asking for help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'll keep checking back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry! I think it is not important! I often make doileis and they become waved. I only stretch them, starch and iron and it helps!!!

5. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes the center rows may need to be stretched out a little bit. I too think that the blocking as starching should help this.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned to crochet by making doilies & always had to starch, block & iron them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible you are crocheting to loosely and not staying within the pattern's suggested gauge? Are you using the right size hook? I have made both of those mistakes in the past and ended up with problems, not to suggest that you are doing anything wrong but I'm just trying to brainstorm what could be causing the problem for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Terry! I agree with everybody, blocking and starching should help! Let us know how it turns out!