Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fishing Excitement

Hello members,

I have to tell you I have not went fishing since I was a kid. I went allow this evening with a close friend of mine who is ready for the season. We took along two catfish poles and one for spoonbill.

As he was doing his spoonbill thing, I caught my first blue catfish of the season! I was so excited and wanted to keep it. It was a pretty good size for me - about 18-24 inches long.

He fishes for the extremely large ones - like 40 to 50 pounds and up! Well, my daughter who is 10 has been waiting for this - I told him this one is for her.

The temperature is really not quite warm enough for bank fishing - the temp is in the 50's I am guessing - will be down to 42 tonight.

Needless to say - I am excited! I may have to go get some of my own fishing gear! Just wanted to share!

Do any of you like to fish? If you do - love to hear about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbi- I don't really like to fish! But it sounds like you are having a lot of fun! Are you planning to go again? It's funny-I really never thought of what other people like to do besides crocheting! (It's probably hard to fish and crochet at the same time!). I play flute in a symphonic band. This is something I do just for myself! I guess that could be my "fishing"! Sorry I got off the subject a bit, but it is so nice hearing about what other people do for fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Maryjane,

I used to really love fishing with my dad when I was young. He passed away a few years ago. I have always wanted to go fishing again, but I am not an expert at getting the fish off the hook - LOL. I can bait the hook and have cleaned fish, but have some areas that I need to learn more. To me fishing is so relaxing - to be on the river.

A dear friend of mine allowed me to go with him last night. I used his poles - I told him I may have to go get a pole of my own! I would also love for my kids to be able to experience fishing. They have a few times when they were younger, but they have not been in a while.

I do plan on going sometime soon. Usually, my best friend is the one who does all the fishing and gives us the fish - my kids love fresh catfish amazingly. I will let you all know in the future about me exursions, if I have more. I told me friend that I may be bugging him to allow me to go with him! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I love to fish myself. When I married my husband 10 years ago he was so excited to have a fishing partner and someone else who enjoyed his happiness and joy of fishing. To me fishing is fun, it brings me solitude and a great De-stressor! So glad to hear you enjoy it too!

Blessing!

Nana Berg68 (Kathy)

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't fished much since my early 20s. My husband is not a fisherman so we really don't do that. Interestingly enough though, the house we bought came with a stocked pond. We have catfish, about 24 inches long, some longer, and bluegill. When friends come down from Chicago, we sit with them while they fish. It is a relaxing peaceful way to appreciate nature.

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I LOVE to fish. I was bornand raised in Colorado, and I had 2 olser brothers, so we went stream/river fishing all the time with bait. I got married had kids got divorced, never had time tto fish, just like mom taught me to knit and crochet, but I was too busy trying to keep a roof over our heads. Well long story short, the girls are grown and gone, I remarried, EHAW, 7 years ago, and I introduced my husband to fishin'we had a blast, but for the last couple of years,our health has gone downhill and we moved to Utah. O mygoodness, the mountains are spectacular out here, just majestic, so we promised ourselves, this year, this year after it warms up. We are tired of sitting around just in bad health, so we are going fishin. A litlle bit more mellow fishing but nonetheless, if we wait until we feel better we would never do anything I have come to accept and embrace becoming older. So now, all those things I was taught as a child, I now enjoy, just a differentseason of my life

9. Likes Barbara G., Theresa L liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Louisa - I love your outlook. I am beginning to see changes in my health as well and I hope I can embrace this phase of life with your attitude.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are so excited about fishing this year we areactually gonna buy a tent,ouch, we both have arhritis. I don't know what we are thinking haha. I'm actually reading this great book by Nicholas Sparkscalled thelucky one, and I'm trying my first attempt at knitting socks..yikes..I have thosedays where I fell like I canlay concrete, then Fibro or my RAsets in and reminds me "slow down girl...Louisa

12. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was little and lived in Bda I loved to rock fish. Used to take a little stick w/ line and frozen bread and just sit on the banks and fish. My friends in CA are avid fisher people. They even bought a boat this year and one of them is getting his outfitting fishing guide lisence. I had a chance when I spent the summer in Co, to met Homer Wilson(?) the champion of some pro bass fishing; As an adult I haven't fished. But this thread brought back some sweet memories, thanks Barbara.