Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question Blanket Edges are wavy

I am making a granny square baby blanket. I am adding an edging but it seems to be wavy. Am I putting too many double crochets on it? Please help Thanks KimBlanket Edges are wavy-afghans-2012-001-jpgBlanket Edges are wavy-afghans-2012-001-jpg
    Last edited by kimr; 04-05-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: adding picture

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kimr, your edging looks fine to me given that it appears to be following the shape of the granny squares and is laying flat. It looks like the wavey section is where the granny squares meet and looks to be part of the look of this pattern. Try ripping out the edging on one section and redoing it with fewer double crochets and see if that is more appealing to you... hope this helps...beverly

Quote Originally Posted by kimr View Post
    I am making a granny square baby blanket. I am adding an edging but it seems to be wavy. Am I putting too many double crochets on it? Please help Thanks KimBlanket Edges are wavy-afghans-2012-001-jpgBlanket Edges are wavy-afghans-2012-001-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Beverly I will. Have a Great Day : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kimr,

You are getting the 'wave' because of the way your squares were joined. Your edging is fine. If you look closely at the blanket you will notice that the 'wave' starts where the squares were joined.

To avoid this problem in the future you need to work your joins on your squares right up to the corners so that across the top is perfectly flat before you start to do the edging.

The only way you can fix it now (without frogging it back) is to do a trc right above the join and then continue with the dc the rest of the way around.

Hope that makes sense.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

5. Likes Judi Gums, Karis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that does make sense. I've looked at the wave beginning and have never noticed that before. Thanks so much for your info I will be changing my joins from now on. Thanks again : ) Kim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this information -- I found that working a treble in the corner does work quite well. I am inclined to crochet very loosely and have had a problem with wavy edges -- I now use one size (sometimes two) sizes smaller hook for the edging, especially if I like the look of the edge-- otherwise reduce the number of stitches for your shells or whatever it is you are doing in the border.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this information I am sure this will help me out alot. : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kimr View Post
    Thanks for this information I am sure this will help me out alot. : )
    You are very welcome. I hope it helps. I love to crochet as it works up so quickly and so nicely and you can make decisions as you go along. shirley (designer1234)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive tried the triple stitch where the two squares connected and it looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have since finished this blanket and it looks awesome. Thanks so much everyone for your help on this. One question I do have is I am looking for the name of a stitch. One single two doubles all in the same hole. not sure what it is called but it sure looks pretty : ) Thanks again. Kim