Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hello from Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Ohio

Hello, my name is Rebecca and I am from Ohio. Currently it is snowing AGAIN and yesterday was -10 degrees most of the day. Glad I have crocheting to keep me warm. I am excited to join this forum. I have so many questions... I used to crochet up a storm but life got in the way. Now I have a new grandbaby and have picked up my hooks again and have made several sweater sets for her and some new nephews. I have a list ten miles long of projects to try, but yarns have changed so much I am unsure which yarns to use. I consider myself an intermediate crocheter as I am mostly self taught, but am not afraid to try anything. My next project is a little sunhat and dress for my grand-daughter. She lives in the Atlanta area, so my idea was to use a yarn like "sugar and Cream" so her mommy and daddy could wet the hat on a really sticky day to cool her off. I am wondering if it will still hold its shape, or is it too rough for her little head. Should all yarns be softened in the dryer before using? Where can I learn about yarns and which yarn is best for which purpose. Does anyone use magnifiers for thread projects? My eyes are getting old.

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Rebecca. Welcome to the group. Where are you from in Ohio? I am from Coshocton,Ohio. It is still snowing here. We are supposed to get up to 7 to 8 inches of snow by this evening. The roads are very bad here. We are on a level 2. I love to crochet. I have been at it for 3 years now. I am going to start working on some Easter things. Everyone here is so wonderful and they are always willing to help when they can. It is a pleasure to meet you.

4. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rebecca, Nice to meet a confident crocheter, I could learn from you. Self taught old gal and lack gutso!! Heres a googled Link with many Ideas on yarn uses, hope it helps. Check back on you again. Susan2014 Mpls, MN

https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.HoginQ8rAB0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for replying so quickly... need to get moving on some more projects since we can't do anything else due to the snow... I will check it out. Have a blessed day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Rebecca! It s nice to meet you! I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    hi Sonnetta, I am from Dover, love your name...I am just finishing up a tea cosy, and an amigurumi ( my first) of my own design adapted from several patterns i looked at. Then I am going to start a hat for my baby grand-daughter. I have been reading up on yarns since Susan replied but still have questions, probably because we dont have anything but the chain stores. There used to be a small privately owned yarn shop in Dover but that is probably long gone. She always had the specialty yarns. Do you know of any in our area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larisa, I used to do a few doilies, and mostly crochet collars but it has been years. I have a few on my list of upcoming projects but I will probably keep putting them off for baby things for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rterakedis View Post
    hi Sonnetta, I am from Dover, love your name...I am just finishing up a tea cosy, and an amigurumi ( my first) of my own design adapted from several patterns i looked at. Then I am going to start a hat for my baby grand-daughter. I have been reading up on yarns since Susan replied but still have questions, probably because we dont have anything but the chain stores. There used to be a small privately owned yarn shop in Dover but that is probably long gone. She always had the specialty yarns. Do you know of any in our area?
    My son lives near Dover. He lives in Sugarcreek. I used to live in New Philadelphia at one time. I know there is a Boleks Craft store in Dover. I was in it a few times but it has been a long time. I can't even remember where it is but I order from them sometimes. The beads and stuff are really cheap. I will have to come up and check on the yarn sometime

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to CrochetTalk! Glad you joined us and looking forward to learning more about you!

May I suggest posting your questions in the main forum? Here is a link for you:

http://crochettalk.com/main/

If you will create a new thread for each question you have, the members can respond to each one individually for you. Let us know if you need help with doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Alabama, we're so glad you're here! Personally, I don't soften my yarn in the dryer before I use it. Once I finish a project, I toss it in the washer and then the dryer and soften it that way. I make a lot of big afghans, shawls, scarves, and I've been on a roll making baby blankets. Yesterday, I made 2 pairs of the sweetest little baby girl mary jane shoes. They came out absolutely adorable.

I think Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn will make a cute hat for your grand baby. It cannot be dried in the dryer on high heat. If it is, it'll shrink. I learned that the hard way.

We'd love to see some photos of your work!

Shelley