Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

Tips for Art Fairs??

I am planning on going to an art fair with some crochet items, haven't decided which ones, but does anyone have any tips or advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have not personally done crochet items in a fair, but thought you might enjoy looking at these two articles:

Tips for Making Money at Art Fairs

Successful Craft Fair Tips | Handmadeology

Also, are you going to have a theme in your crochet items? Such as baby items, ect. Also, do you crochet for others? If so, you might consider having some printed materials to give out - it doesn't have to be big, but something that the people can take with them with your info.

3. Likes stitch11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done Craft Fairs for a year now! You can never be sure what is going to sell! Something will sell well at one Fair but not at another one a few weeks later! I sell crochet thing for children-dolls, toys, and games mostly! I have added items that a earth friendly-dishclothes, tote bags, etc! I have a lot of things, maybe only one or two of each item. This way there should be something for just about anyone! Do your research, Barbi gave you some very helpful links. But most of all, enjoy yourself! As long as I make back what I paid for the space I'm happy!

6. Likes stitch11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've sold my work at the festivals and art shows for about 10 years now. What I've found is that it really pays to visit the show at least once as a buyer before committing to doing the show as a seller. That way you can see exactly how its run and get a chance to speak with some of the other vendors.

Just because someone else has done well at a certain show doesn't mean that you will do well there also. A lot has to do with reaching your 'target market'. If you are selling kids things and the venue is geared primarily to teenagers you probably won't sell a lot.

The same goes for pricing. If you are selling 'higher end' items and are at a school type venue, you probably won't sell very much either.

I don't do shows any more that allow 'resale' items. This includes Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tupperware and the rest of them. The reason being is that if I'm selling handcrafted items, I want the buyer to be looking specifically for handcrafted items.

When I do a show I always try to have someone with me for the day. That way there is another pair of eyes to keep an eye on things when it gets busy. I also make sure that the cash is well hidden and NOT under the table. That's the first place people will look!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

8. Likes stitch11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I will be on the hunt for the next art fair
    http://stitch11.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I did craft fairs for one summer and it was an interesting experience. You do need to approach it like a business if you want to make money. Have things priced because not all people will ask if they don't see a price. Have attractive, easy-to-read signs. Make sure you have some shade. It can get really hot if you are sitting in the sun all day. Bring bottled water - fair refreshments are expensive. And brig a friend so you can pass the time and have someone to watch your booth if you need to use the facilities.