Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm new here!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile I'm new here!

Just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I am a retired teacher, a wife, mother, grandmother, church choir director, and founder of our church's prayer shawl ministry. My first memories of crocheting involve sitting and watching my grandmother crochet. She died when I was ten, and I remember going through the trunks she had which were filled with her crocheted items and pieced or appliqued quilt blocks, tops, and finished products. The next year at vacation Bible school, the school age students were taught to make granny squares for a baby blanket in the nursery of our church's new education building. Years later, I taught myself to crochet (after teaching myself to knit - and deciding it was too slow - and that two needles was one too many! Switched to crochet, and the rest is history. I made afghans for all my family members, sweaters for my daughter, two pineapple tablecloths, and Christmas ornaments for our church's annual bazaar. About fifteen years ago, our minister mentioned starting a prayer shawl ministry. I created a pattern based on the Trinity, and cranked out shawls as quickly as I could - while still teaching school and grading papers. Three years ago, a new member asked if I would teach her to crochet. I did, and she learned very fast. Last summer she and I decided to start a prayer shawl class. We now have five ladies who can make prayer shawls using the same pattern I created many years ago. (And we have another lady who is interested in joining us!!!)

We now have a stash of prayer shawls and have been learning to make new items. We've made scarves, infinity scarves, ear warmers, head bands, boot cuffs, fingerless mittens - and flowers to add to our items.

How many WIP's do I have? I honestly don't know --- but it's several!!!

I joined this group mainly to have access to a variety of free patterns, but am quickly learning that there is much more to this group. Thank you for allowing me to become a part of it all!

Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I am Larisa doily maker. I have 5 birds. Do you have a cat?
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan, Im a Susan2014 on here. FB Im Susan M Jensen. Your quite a Gifted Busy Gal. Your welcome to join in any where, for help or to help others in need. Have Newbies joining all the time. The Greatest Moderator one could have is Barbara Green and call on her if we cant. We re a great Family and helpful Bunch. A few gents but they are quiet?? Have Fun Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! We are glad you are here as a member!

Please make yourself at home and let us know if you need anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us. You sound like a very busy person

6. Thanks slmh thanked for this post