Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What has been your biggest frustration so far in crocheting?

For me, it was purchasing a soft type of yarn that is wavy. I was attempting to make a shawl with it and went against the advice of my MIL who said it would be too hard to use that yarn. Was she right! That was several years ago and I still have that yarn. Everytime I've tried to use it, I end up taking out all the stitches in frustration. Recently I decided to take it on again and make a scarf for myself out of it. I'm bound and determined to use that yarn one way or another! LOL

2. Likes mtomlin43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What yarn was it you purchased?

My biggest frustration right now is the fact that my hands won't let me use the small thread hooks any more. I've done fine crochet work for years and not being able to use anything smaller than a size 3 can really be irritating at times. Old age is creeping up on me!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was a amigurumi pattern when I started to try them out...to be honest, i had not read it was supposed to be worked in spiral so i kept undoing all the stitches since i never seemed to be finishing a round! when i worked that out, i was amazed at how easy it really is! silly me!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I guess my biggest frustration is not having enough time to do what I want to do! :0)

6. Likes Heide liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been frustrated when I've taken the time to make something nice for someone, just to realize that they really don't appreciate the time or effort put into the project. Maybe I just need an attitued adjustment lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    My passion is to make quality charity items. I have been messin' around with granny squares because I love color and this is a great way to indulge that. However, my square are wonky- meaning, they don't line up correctly from color to color. I did some research and have been turning them aka flipping them around to the opposite sides. I also am thinking that a bigger hook will help even more. So those things help, but now what to do with all those yarn ends?? I really want to make some nice pieces for lapghans and semi-comforters for nursing home residents. I know that when and if those items get washed, it will be with hot water and cheap detergent. I am at a loss for what to do to make the yarn ends look nice on either side, ect.

I am soliciting any 'granny sqaure' gurus out there to chime in and be the boss of me on this and tell me what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patterns that are difficult to read - print too small. This happens with patterns printed from the computer. I have to take them to a copy shop and have them enlarged. I love to do filet crochet, but every pattern has to be enlarged for me. Then I highlight each row as I finish. Highlighters are great, I'm glad someone invented them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sweet Magnolia,

Would you care to share about what filet crochet is with the group? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Filet crochet is worked with the pattern being a chart or a grid. The open spaces on the grid are made with a stitch such as a dc, then chain 2, skip 2 and dc in the next stitch. It is actually harder to explain than it is to actually make the stitches. The pattern is done in dc in the first stitch, dc in the next two chain spaces and one dc in the next stitch. Using the grid, you can take graph paper and work out a pattern for names to personalize the item. My daughter has made many baby afghans with the baby's name crocheted into the afghan. She even made a friend an afghan with the Harley Davidson logo on it for a biker buddy of ours. So far this year I have made bunnies, ducks, butterflies and a dragonfly afghans. I think we have about 9 baby afghans to take to the Children's Hospital in Little Rock. I also am going to make a tiny teddy bear afghan for my grandson's little bear he has had all his life. The teddy bear's name is Fudgie and he wears preemie baby clothes. I thought it would be cute to make a teddy bear afghan for a teddy bear.

Filet crochet is very easy to do. You just have to keep count of your stitches. That is why I make several copies of the pattern and use highlighters to mark the rows I have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the great responses! I knew I couldn't be the only one frustrated at times! So far the scarf is coming out good if just a little uneven on the sides. Since it will be worn as a scarf I don't think anyone will notice nor do I care! LOL!