Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1st stitch with rounds or rows

when crocheting i never know where to put my 1st stitch with either rounds or rows... sometimes it needs to go in the ss at the end and sometimes it requires the following stitch... any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance
    Last edited by Dee-Ann; 03-29-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here is a simple picture tutorial on how to begin stitching in the round:

How to Crochet in the Round - For Dummies

If this does not answer your question, then please let us know. I was not actually sure what you were asking. In many projects, I make a slip knot to begin the project, then continue with what the instructions say.

But when working in the round - the above link will help you understand the process.

Here is how to do a first row with single crochet, as I am not sure what type of stitching you are using:

How to Crochet in the Round - For Dummies

http://www.instructables.com/id/Beginning-crochet/
    Last edited by Barbara G.; 03-29-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: adding another link

Post Thanks / Like
    Dee-Ann, Try putting a safety pin on the first stitch of the row or round. That way you will always know where the first stich of each row is! Hope that will work for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dee-Ann I find this confusing too sometimes. It is nice when the pattern tells you what to do, sometimes the you will see it say ss in first sc,dc, or what ever you are working on, then it will have you chain how ever many to start new round, sometimes the chain will count as the first stitch sometimes it won't, sometimes you will start with a stitch in the same stitch as you ss in sometimes you won't. What I have learned is; it is my project and I can do what I want and what I feel looks the best. So I always look at it and see if that is the way I want it to turn out, and just make sure I keep my count of stitches along the way. Putting a marker as someone else suggested is a good way to keep track of where you are.