Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Afghans - What Is Your Favorite Type?

I have made baby afghans and full-sized afghans. I have made granny squares, ripples and massive blankets with ornate designs using the afghan stitch. I was wondering what your favorite type of afghan to make is?

To answer my own question, it depends. For warmth, I prefer the sturdy afghan stitch. For fun with colors, I like ripples and granny squares.

2. Likes thrdsnpnt liked this post
    My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    TBH, I never made an afghan and tried an afghan stitch only twice in my life! I know it is awful! I must try this kind of stitch and make something out of my newly acquired knowledge. Do you find it harder than usual crochet stitches? Do you know of any site that you would recommend to learn it?
    Thanks...
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never made an afghan (coz its such a big project!) but I've guided one of my students doing one. If given a choice, I would prefer to make squares coz its faster! But I've seen a lot of other kind of afghan designs that look pretty. I like baby colors. If I'm going to make one, I want to make a baby afghan.

5. Likes dorismae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly haven't used sites to get patterns from too often. I have a huge collection of books, many were my mother's. I also pick them up at yard sales when I can find them. The thing about the afghan stitch is you have to have a long enough needle to accommodate the project. A large single-piece afghan can quite cumbersome to work with as the project progresses. Many are done in panels that you assemble like you would granny squares when completed. The stitch itself is very easy to do. What gets complicated is if you are actually crocheting a pattern into the piece because you may have to carry several different colors while you work. Others are adorned by embroidering a pattern on the piece when it is finished with a simple cross stitch. I like the challenge of these harder pieces from time to time...but not too often!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made a few blankets (they probably weren't big enought to be called afghans!). I've mainly made granny square and one with a ripple stitch. I would like to make one out of broomstick lace, but haven't had the time yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on two afghans at the moment. One for my little brother and adding onto one I made for my husband. Both are granny squares. Actually, the one for my husband is one giant granny square I am gradually adding on to, and the one for my brother is made from granny's daughters. I'll have to post a pic sometime, because I really love how it's turning out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only had experience with making them out of granny squares or the basic stitch (I guess that's what it's called??). I once made five in one year and gave them away at Christmas as gifts. Once I get started, I can zone out and just get it done. I want to learn some of the other styles as well, like the ripple stitch. The problem that I've always had is that each time I make an afghan using the granny square method, my square starts off correctly but by the end of the project, it's tilted some. I think I'm doing some of the stitches too tight but I don't know. I tried to stay relaxed, but it still ends up with the square in the middle looking more like a rhumbus!! (the leaning square)

Post Thanks / Like
    I LOVE my afghan stitch afghan. Like you say, there's nothing warmer! I don't think it's a hard stich to do at all but it does take awhile to make an entire afghan with it--at least it did me. But I only work on one off and on because it isn't quick.

As for making quick afghans, I love making baby's blankets and they are so appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now you are talking Theresa,

There is no project that I love more then making afghans. I tend to do the repetitive stitch patterns. I have one in the works nearly all the time. I love the soothing rhythm of the repetitive stitch patterns. I can do them watching TV without having to do a lot of counting or worrying about getting it wrong.

One of my favorite patterns is the Herringbone stitch. You can find it on Youtube. Such a simple stitch (just a variation of the DC) but it gives such a nice pattern after about the 4 row, good texture in that stitch too.

I have done lots of granny squares, I also like the seed stitch for an afghan or a scarf both. That also can be found on Youtube.

Those are my favorites today.....but that seems to change as I find new patterns....lol. I have made a lot of shell stitch afghans, and various combinations that I just made up as I went along. I am working on the Wave stitch now also.

I could go on for hours about stitches. Glad you asked.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa L View Post
    I have made baby afghans and full-sized afghans. I have made granny squares, ripples and massive blankets with ornate designs using the afghan stitch. I was wondering what your favorite type of afghan to make is?

To answer my own question, it depends. For warmth, I prefer the sturdy afghan stitch. For fun with colors, I like ripples and granny squares.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made many, many afghans for Linus and other charities. The larkstooth stitch works out very nice and I always get compliments when someone sees me making an afghan with that stitch. I am part of a volunteer crafting group. we make all sorts of hand crafted stuff to sell and the proceeds go to charity. A women came to our group and asked for a white, blue and pink afghan in a stitch that isn't holey. I am currently about 1/3 finished with the blue one that I'm crocheting using the shell stitch. I think I will make a swatch using the crazy stitch and if that comes out good, I will use it for the pink one.
    Last edited by mamarose22; 03-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.