Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help, what does it mean to sew 2 crochet pieces together?

Working on a one piece baby kimono. This works up so quickly, almost done..and just started 2 days ago. I think I will use this for some donation work. I love a quick small easy pattern. But my question is...how do you sew together crochet??? The pattern says to sew together seams underarm sleeve and sides. I have never made crochet garments before. Do I sew with thread and needle, sewing machine or do they mean to join seams with a running yarn...just wondering...I would think you can't really "sew" crochet. but what do I know! Thank you for sharing your expertise with this newbie. Can't wait to post a picture. Funny thing, I don't even know any babies to give it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help, what does it mean to sew 2 crochet pieces together?-104_3483-jpg 
    Last edited by sep335; 03-21-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, It usually just means to join seams with a running yarn... Example you can whip stitch the two seams together with yarn! Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you getting your baby kimono worked up so quickly. I too love quick projects like that.

Just get a large needle, thread the yarn through it and do a whip stitch. Check Youtube for tutorials on sewing pieces together and it will show you better then I can tell you.

I'd love to see your completed project.

Welcome sep335,

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by sep335 View Post
    Working on a one piece baby kimono. This works up so quickly, almost done..and just started 2 days ago. I think I will use this for some donation work. I love a quick small easy pattern. But my question is...how do you sew together crochet??? The pattern says to sew together seams underarm sleeve and sides. I have never made crochet garments before. Do I sew with thread and needle, sewing machine or do they mean to join seams with a running yarn...just wondering...I would think you can't really "sew" crochet. but what do I know! Thank you for sharing your expertise with this newbie. Can't wait to post a picture. Funny thing, I don't even know any babies to give it to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sew my squares together to make afghans. I use a tapestry needle, big hole, and pin the two pieces together and take that needle and whip stitch the pieces together. If you don't want the whip stitch edge, just sew it like you were hand sewing fabric. It will lay flat and you can't see where the pieces were joined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Cute,

Thanks for sharing with us.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    you use the same yarn you are crocheting with and do a slip st in all the seams , I catch a st on each side and slips st up the side

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same yarn that I use to go around all the squares. I catch a stitch on both sides and when I get to the end of the two squares I run the needle under about 10 stitches and cut the yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will quite often leave a long tail of yarn when I finish off a piece that I know will be attached to another. I use that piece of yarn to sew up the seams!

10. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on what the item is that I'm working on, I'll either do a mattress stitch join to hide the seam (usually done on a sweater or other garment) or I'll join the pieces with a decorative crochet stitch.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices