Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Jambo! From Nairobi, Kenya

They say there is power in the masses. Maybe if I tap into the group psyche of this forum, I will finally, finally, get round to actually learning how to crochet beyond the basic stitches. The irony is, I love (the idea of) crocheting, I love all things crocheted, I can even afford to buy the materials needed to crochet. So it beats me why I have not done it ten years later. Please hold me responsible to my intentions this time round. I'll keep y'all posted.]

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jambo Dee!
    Well, I know of many other persons who love everything crocheted but unlike you, they only want items made for them and never even tried to learn! To be honest I find them cheeky! Anyway, welcome here and I am sure you will finally get beyond those easy stitches and master all kinds of motifs. My fave one is the pineapple, do you like it, or know it? see you around....
    FairyNatB

3. Likes DeeTheLearner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Dee,

I hope that you will be inspired by the group in starting your projects! Our girl scout group recently learned about Kenya and it was a joy!

Welcome to the group! Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming projects!

5. Likes DeeTheLearner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dee!
    Very nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum! What you need is a pattern that inspires you! What kind of projects are you interested in? I have problems when it comes to getting something to fit, lol. I tend to just go off on my own tangents instead of followng a pattern. You might want to try making some coasters at first---just go round and round with single crochet (join the first round with a slip stitch) until you have the size coasters you want. You could also make them bigger to use as pads to put your hot dishes on, etc. Anyway, hope the forum inspires you to greater things!

Post Thanks / Like
    hey everyone!

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am feeling simply overwhelmed! Where should I start? Probably by purchasing some crocheting yarn and a needle. But how do I know what to buy. Could anyone also suggest a place I could find the patterns you guys have mentioned. And last, what is the eaassieest, and I mean A,B,C kind of easy- thing that I can crochet? A bag? A baby bootie? A Beanie hat? HELP!

P.S: Welcome to Kenya where we have summer all year round and amazing beaches too. Plenty of wildlife in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dee,

Do you have any children? I started back crocheting some small baby blankets for my daughter's baby dolls that uses a double crochet stitch. It gave me time to simply practice the stitch with no other additions to the pattern.

Many suggest using a J hook start start with, since it is easier to handle. I would first buy a skien of yarn and hook to practice some of the basic stitches. I have posted a few videos under the links and resources that are simple to watch and learn the stitches.

I hope this helps! Take a breath and take your time to enjoy the process! I am also sure the others in the group will post some other ideas on simple patterns they used, too.
    Last edited by Barbara G.; 10-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.

9. Likes DeeTheLearner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of things we have been doing is posting free patterns in the forum as we find them on the net. I agree with Barbara that you should just buy a hook and yarn in whatever color you want and just use it to practice as you watch the videos she has posted.

I would think the easiest thing to do is something flat that doesn't require a lot of different kinds of stitches like she suggested a doll blanket.
    Here are the pattern instructions for a coaster:

Now, I know all the abbreviations seem pretty complicated and it takes time to understand a pattern so probably your first trick should be to just watch the videos and learn what stitches they are talking about before trying a pattern.

Since I know how to crochet already, it's easy for me to say just single crochet round and round to make a coaster cause I know that's simple but probably not as simple to you because you haven't seen what I mean.

Abbreviations:
    NC = neutral coloured yarn
    RC = rainbow coloured yarn
    ch = chain
    sl st = slip stitch
    dc = double crochet
    sts = stitches
    R = round
    [...] = repeat instructions in square brackets

Cup Coaster:
    (Make 6, one for each rainbow colour)

Cut yarn after each change of colour.

Using 3.5mm crochet hook make slipknot with NC. Ch 3. Sl st to first ch.

R1- Ch 1. 5 dc into ring. Sl st to ch pulling through RC. (6 sts)

R2- Ch 1. [2 dc in next st] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch. (12 sts)

R3- Ch 1. 1 dc. [2 dc in next st, 1 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch using NC.
    (18 sts)

R4- Ch 1. 2 dc. [2 dc in next st, 2 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch using RC.
    (24 sts)

R5- Ch 1. 3 dc. [2 dc in next st, 3 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch. (30 sts)

R6- Ch 1. 4 dc. [2 dc in next st, 4 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch using NC.
    (36 sts)

R7- Ch 1. 5 dc. [2 dc in next st, 5 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch using RC.
    (42 sts)

R8- Ch 1. 6 dc. [2 dc in next st, 6 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch. (48 sts)

R9- Ch 1. 7 dc. [2 dc in next st, 7 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch using NC.
    (54 sts)

R10- Ch 1. 8 dc. [2 dc in next st, 8 dc] x 5. 1 dc. Sl st to ch. (60 sts)

Cut yarn, weave in ends and press.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jambo! From Nairobi, Kenya-coaster-jpg 

11. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Newby

Hey Patti
    You have such a great way of explaining things, I agree with you both. Buy a needle, yarn and a pattern book, or go online and find free patterns to print out. Some of the beginner books show step by step, with pictures, maybe there is a video on line that you could watch. Misty

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking that too Patti, you could have been a teacher...your explanation is clear and simple. I am sure that Dee now feels more confident to go and try out a few easy patterns! I also would recommend something with simplest stitches to begin with such as only single crochet...but well, Dee, if you are feeling very unambitious at first just try making chains and practice your tension so that you get a perfect row of stitches every time.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, ya'll, lol.
    Don't think I have the patience to be a teacher but I do write tutorials occasionally!