Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Smile flowers

I make a gardina flower with six petals and am trying to crochet a granny square a round it. I don't want to attach it to the top of the square, I want to crochet the square around the flower. Does any one know how to do this and can help me. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be best if you showed us a picture and the directions for the flower.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think if you make a sc on the widest points on the flower and chain between each sc, it should give you the base row to begin making your squares. It's difficult to say not seeing the flower. You would just have to work with it to get the correct number of chains, a trial and error project, which are always so much fun to me.
    Good luck. Hope it works out good.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    check out Chris Simon's crochet patterns at YarnCrazy.com she has a pattern for a square made with a flower centre that sits above the square

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the 6 petals might present a bit of a challenge as you would usually need 4 corners to start the granny square. That's why I suggest posting a picture of the flower or the pattern that would contain the picture in order for anyone to try to figure it out. You might want to check out crochet pattern central under granny squares. You might find one with a 6 pointed flower or motif that is worked up into a square.

Post Thanks / Like

floral hexagon

Lily, I Googled "crochet hexagon" and found this site that sounded like you could use it to convert it to your gardenia: Floral Granny Hexagon Crochet Pattern

I didn't find any six petaled flowers made into a square, but it is easily made into a hexagon. I read one pattern that cautioned that hers might not lay flat unless you added some extra stitches. The rule is: to make it lay flat you add six stitches each round, no matter the diameter! This applies to single crochet. With other stitches the number changes. In this pattern the extra stitches are included in the pattern. Hexagons are as easily made into afghans or other items as squares. Crochet Pattern Central has many suggestions.
    I am not used to this site and wondered when I pasted in the web site that it didn't look like a link. I just found an icon that says to insert link.
    I'll try pasting it in again and see what it does. Floral Granny Hexagon Crochet Pattern
    It went in twice so I guess one of them should work!
    Good luck.
    Carrie
    Last edited by Carrie; 03-23-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Question about link

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lily,
    Perhaps you could chain stitch around it, attaching where necessary on the flower and make a circle! I've seen patterns to turn a circle into a sguare! I'll see what I can come uo with!

Post Thanks / Like

pgirsh

Lily, did you make several chains between your petals? If you did that is where you attach your next row, usually granny rows to finish off.
    I make an 8 petal flower and add, say, green yarn in the chains between petals, ch 3, 2 dc, 3 ch, 3 dc in corner, ch 1, 3 dc in next chain space, ch 1, 3 dc in next space, and in next corner 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1, etc around. This makes the square a square.
    Last edited by pgirsh; 03-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.