Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Crazy for Crochet

I really like to crochet but haven't done it for about 8 to 10 years. I have always made up my own simple patterns as I do not know how to "read" patterns. I would like to learn how to do some "simple" patterns that I can do to "up" my skills a bit!
    Last edited by Scooters; 09-22-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Learning how to read patterns

Hi Scooter.
    I'm a crochet teacher and a college professor. I love to teach people about every aspect of crochet, including how to read patterns.
    I'm in the middle of making a free youtube video about how to read patterns, but for now, if you find something you'd like to make and you find the pattern. Why don't we have a mini-class right here about that specific pattern. Do you know how to add attachments to your posts in the forum threads? Just click on that paperclip and add the pdf document. If the pattern is on a website, then you just need to type any word (could be the name of the pattern), highlight the word with your mouse, click the little button that looks like a globe with a white number 8 lying next to it, and paste the link to the website in the little pop-up window.
    The rest of this awesome crochet community would be happy to help as well.

warm regards,

3. Thanks Barbara G. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Scooters

Thanks for your advice but, I didn't understand a word you said. I don't read patterns so, I have to say that it was really wonderful to take your time and effort to help me but, as the saying goes, "It was all Greek to me"! Maybe someone on Crochet Talk can interpret that for me. God Bless you for the effort and time you spent in trying to help me. It was so kind of you Suzanne

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Suzanne.
    My apologies for all the techno-greek speak. (I saw you wrote somewhere else that all this technology is a bit new to you...so we'll forget I even asked what I asked. )
    I am happy to simplify things even more. Would you like me to choose a pattern that would be a good beginner's "learn to read crochet" pattern? What about a baby blanket? A hat? Let me know what you item you'd like to make while learning to read a pattern. And we'll invite other newbies to join if they are interested.

Can you tell me which of the following stitches you know how to make?

chain stitch

single crochet stitch

slip stitch

double crochet stitch

half-double crochet stitch

treble crochet stitch

6. Likes Scooters liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Charles, I'm sorry that I am such a BEGINNER as far as my ability to crochet. However, what I have done over the years have turned out beautifully and with a since of style.
    I can "chain stitch", "single crochet stitch", "double crochet stitch", "slip stitch" and I think the treble crochet slip is simply doing a double or triple crochet in the same hole, then, according to the directions, skip a hole and repeat. Corners get two of these with an extra slip stitch stitch in the corner square.

It's been so long since I've crocheted that I hope that I got your questions right! Gulp

p.s. I am so thankful for your time and effort that you take the time to help others. God Bless You!
    Last edited by Scooters; 09-22-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the job done quickly!

Hello Charles, I would like to crochet 3 different baby afghans, 2 for girls and 1 for a boy, all newborns. I could make up my own design but, I thought it would be nice to do something different for a change. I'd like to change things up for a bit! My young 3 grandnieces will end up loving them!

Post Thanks / Like
    The size of the blanket determines the amount of yarn, and so does the thickness of the yarn, your hook size and your personal tension. The yarn called for on pattern booklets are just a guideline.
    Here are common blanket sizes:

• crib blanket 45"x60"
    • crib quilt 36"x50"
    • throw 32"x39"
    • stoller blanket 22"x30"
    • nursing blanket 32" x 32"

I'm going to suggest that you get some baby yarn that is either sport weight (It may be called 4-ply), DK (or double knitting) weight or worsted weight. Also, if you can, it would be best to have a range of hooks, not just the one mentioned on the ball band of the yarn ball. The one suggested on the yarn ball is often not the right one to make a lofty and soft blanket...you may get cardboard-like fabric. Also, as you haven't crocheted for a bit, your personal tension may be a bit all over the map at first, so you want to be able to adjust the hook size and go up or down if you don't like the look of the resulting fabric.

I would buy Bernat Softee Baby, or Caron Simply Soft Light, or Bernat Baby Sport, or Red Heart Soft Baby, Red Heart Baby TLC, Red Heart Anne Geddies, Red Heart Sport of Designer Sport.
    I would buy 600 to 800 yards, and an extra ball just in case..and check if you can return it with receipt if not used within a certain # of weeks.

Did you make the first blankets you used to make from the center out.. or did you start at one end and go all the way to the other end, or did you make squares and sew them together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Scooters,
    Here are some possible ideas for you to consider: Just click on the text for each one.
    Shells blanket
    GrannySquare Ripple Stitch
    6 Easy baby blankets
    Stripes and Blocks
    Daisy Baby Blanket
    V-Stitch Blanket
    Polka-dots and frills

12. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I made squares first and then I crocheted them together (to answer your question about how I made my parent's queen sized afghan).