Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Selling hand crocheted items

I am new at the selling game so could use some advise on how to go about pricing my crocheted items. Right now I am making flowers for a friend to be used as appliques. Should I price them individually or as a lot. I'm making 50 of them all different sizes.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I sell things at craft shows. What I do is both ways and give them a choice. I price them as each and also so many for a price. For example if I sell magnets, I would sell them at say .10 ea or 5 for .25. I also try to keep track of the yarn I use as well as other supplies. I always take the most expensive yarn price even if I buy it at a low price because when I replenish the yarn I might not find it at the price I paid for it the first time. I do it with other supplies too. Then I take the amount of yarn in the skein and divide it by the price (highest price not price you buy it at) and get price per yard. I do that with all my supplies. Then I keep track of how much i use then I take the price per yard or oz ( same with other supplies) then I multiply it by the amount I acutally used. Then I figure how much I want to make personally then add it on that is my price. Sometimes I have to go down some depending on the item and where I sell it. I try to price it so that people can afford it. But I try to at least get back what I put into it so that I can replenish what I use. I hope this helps you. I know people tend to do it differently but this is how i do it.

3. Thanks andreala thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Any advise helps since I'm new at selling. I've been crocheting for years but have mostly just given my things as gifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandygh View Post
    Thank you. Any advise helps since I'm new at selling. I've been crocheting for years but have mostly just given my things as gifts.
    That is what I used to do too but then my disability just wasn't making it. I was struggling so I decided to do something that would bring in a little extra. I also give 10 percent to God because if it wasn't for the gift He gave me I would not be able to do it. I have one more craft show this year that one will be in November then I am done till May. Still trying to come up with a way to sell my crafts during the winter. I have even decided that I will wrap it for them if they are buying it as a gift. I don't know if I will do it in November but next year I am going to hold drawings, I am going to make up baskets with themes and then have people write down their name, address and phone number and then at the end of the show I will draw a name and they will get the basket. I figure that will at least get people to look and then word spreads. I have my own cards with my name, phone, and address and I also make up flyers to hand up. Next year I am going to print out price lists to give everyone then if they want to order something they can call me. I am offering to make things in the color they want. I really enjoy doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've thought about this myself, because I'm also disabled and we can make a certain amount of money without it interfering, so I was planning in trying to have an ETSY store by this time of year, from Sept thru Dec, but my entire yarn supply was stolen during us moving 3 times in the spring (2 of the moves were unplanned) and my camera got stolen too, so that really hurt me in my business.

That really put a wrench in my plans, in our whole life really. Even if I'd had the yarn I didn't have time to make enough items to have the store. You don't really need many pieces to have a store and it's cheap to list them, but I decided to wait until next year. Pinterest and fb both have business pages where you can list your prices. Those are a couple of places, but that's all I've got for you right now! I couldn't do a craft show at all, my body won't allow it, plus around here the booths at the big ones are outrageously high.

Good luck everyone! I think word of mouth is always a good way......

Meanwhile, my husband was able to finally get my blog site up and running, so I'm working on that to get to know people and teach beginners to crochet and to help the more advanced crocheters find new and more intense techniques. I've got several hundred bookmarks to draw, from and I think it's going pretty good. That doesn't help me make any money between now and then but I'll at least be able to make some things. I make my self a lot of pieces, I use them in warm weather with open stitching so it won't be hot, for warmth in the winter, for purpose, decor, kitchen & bath, gifts, even sold a few pieces on my fb business page by chance.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 09-14-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were purchasing hand made items, I would not want the seller to wrap it for me if it was a gift. I would want to view the item first. NOT saying I don't trust your work or anyone else's, but it may turn out not to be what I was expecting (color, size, quality, etc.) - It is disappointing that we need to lower our prices in order to sell our work, even tho buyers know we have time involved in the production of the item. I did my 1st craft fair last April. Unfortunately, it was not a good day, as there were not many people who attended. Those that stopped by my booth praised my work, and said how beautiful the baby items were, but most folks did not have babies in the family. I will do another in Oct. at same location, hope it is better. I am working on items that I know will sell, even tho I still want to make my little lovelies for the babies. (making crocheted towels, hot pads, ear warmers/head bands, ladies/girls scarfs and small holiday items. Good luck in your sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetbyruth View Post
    If I were purchasing hand made items, I would not want the seller to wrap it for me if it was a gift. I would want to view the item first. NOT saying I don't trust your work or anyone else's, but it may turn out not to be what I was expecting (color, size, quality, etc.) - It is disappointing that we need to lower our prices in order to sell our work, even tho buyers know we have time involved in the production of the item. I did my 1st craft fair last April. Unfortunately, it was not a good day, as there were not many people who attended. Those that stopped by my booth praised my work, and said how beautiful the baby items were, but most folks did not have babies in the family. I will do another in Oct. at same location, hope it is better. I am working on items that I know will sell, even tho I still want to make my little lovelies for the babies. (making crocheted towels, hot pads, ear warmers/head bands, ladies/girls scarfs and small holiday items. Good luck in your sales.
    I understand what you are saying about wrapping and I think I was misunderstood. I am so glad you brought it up and I totally agree with you. I myself would not want something wrapped without seeing it. I will wrap it after they see it. I always make sure my customer sees what they are getting. I would never wrap something without them seeing it first but by wrapping it for them is a little more incentive for them to buy something knowing you will provide this extra service. I feel the more you do for a customer the more likely they will come back and also pass the word along to someone else. It is just a good customer relations advice someone once told me. As for pricing, it is a shame that we can't really put the price we deserve for it but I got advice on that that you should price your things accordingly to what kinds of people are in that location and how big a craft show it is. I just go to local small craft shows and people around here don't have much money to spend on things so I don't want to price things so they cannot afford to buy them. I think if the economy was better I could price them a little higher. I have been doing quite well lately. I sold several things last one i went too. I am going to another one in November. The wives of a local fire dept hold a craft show every November and I did really well last time. I think because it is so close to Christmas.