Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone! It's nice to see so many people here at 4:32 AM EST!

Hello! I am not sure what date I joined since I didn't make a post the first few times I was here. I have already found great information and a pattern since I started visiting and I have no doubt that if I need help with something specific, the majority of you will be much better at crocheting and someone is likely to offer assistance. My aunt taught me how to make the chain stitch when I was a child but that was all she taught me. On the other hand, my mom taught me how to cast on and knit but the lesson stopped there; I never heard of the purl stitch for years to come.
    Mainly, I crochet and I believe my first project (before I figured out how to choose an easy one!) was a child's blanket and the large center square was made in Tunisian crochet. Then an elephant was cross stitched on the center square, which I knew how to do although this was the first time I'd done it in yarn! To finish the blanket, I had to make green squares and white squares and sew them alternatively around the elephant center.This was for my newborn godson and he absolutely loved it and had it with him every time he laid on the sofa to watch television; did I mention that I didn't have it done until he was nine years old??? Took a while to live that one down.
    My main activity now is going to be making 8" squares for a charity for children in Africa. Although I've made many blankets and afghans since the one that took nine years, I haven't done it for awhile. I didn't think it would be so difficult to make an 8" square . . . however, the one I did finish ... well, let's just say it didn't work out. My real hobby is SHOPPING FOR CRAFT SUPPLIES and I've outdid myself this time. And now I can't figure out an 8" square! This is not good but it will be better with all of you around. Hopefully, we can just laugh at these things.
    I look forward to talking to you later.

Cherie ~

2. Likes Barbara G., AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had times like that myself. I wanted to make a flag afghan and when I was finished it was lopsided LOL I was so frustrated but now I laugh at it. They gave me some wonderful advice on here as to what I did wrong. I love shopping for craft supplies. I am always going to garage sales to find some. I have found quite a few in the past years. I do other crafts as well. There is a couple yard sales this weekend that I don't want to pass up. One of them is selling doll house kits and other stuff and one is selling craft things also so I am going to look for some yarn and other crafts. I made one doll house and am working on another. My first one was a cabin. I made all the furniture that is in it and everything. The one I am working on now is a yellow house with an extension on it. I have seen some other ones I want to make as well. I made a granny square afghan for my younger son. He said they have it on the end of their bed. They really love it. I don't remember what size the squares were though. What kind of trouble are you having with your square? I will look and see what size mine were. I just got done making a panda bib for my younger grandson for Christmas. I have a lot of other things to make too. I made him a teddy bear for his birthday. I made my older grandson a scarf and a blue hippo last year for Christmas and for his birthday I had made him a dog. He named his dog sparkles and his hippo Thomas. He just loved them. He carried them with him so much and slept with them so much that now they are flat LOL. I will be making him some more this year. His birthday is coming up in October so I will have decide what I am going to make him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome!

It is a pleasure to meet you and we hope you enjoy your time here in the crochet forums!

Awesome! Do you send your squares over to Africa? We would love to hear more about this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cherie,
    Welcome and let us know what trouble you are having with the 8 inch square or anything else you need help with.
    Jean Marie

6. Thanks Citsme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cherie,
    To make an easy square ch 4 and sl st to form a loop. Dc in the loop or ring and then make your square from there.
    Jean Marie

8. Thanks Citsme thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hello, Jean Marie,

Thank you for the suggestion; I will definitely give it a try! I believe I might have done that years ago but I had not thought of using that type of pattern now. I just have to make sure that the squares are solid as open pattern squares let the cold in! With my afghan experience, I thought this was going to be something fast to do and it will be . . . when I get the 8 inch part under control! LOL

Have a wonderful day!
    Cherie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

This time would be a good time to learn to read posts from the top down instead of bottom up! It's been a long day today; I've spent more time looking for patterns and no time crocheting but I did have some fun opening a couple of boxes of yarn that were delivered.

I appreciate your offer of assistance and believe me, I will end up taking you up on that. I have a few crochet books that show many different stitches to choose from for different projects and they give the main repeat size of the stitch such as: Multiples of 5 plus one. I have a feeling that the size of the crochet hook needs to be factored in and of course, the eight inches; that's something I am going to look into soon. I found three great (but plain) patterns to work with today, I thought. It's almost 4:00 AM and I think that I am done for the day!

Again, thank you for your welcome and your offer. You taught me one more thing - sort of! I wanted to THANK YOU for your post and I selected the button too close to my post thus, I thanked myself. I couldn't delete it so I thought owning up to it was the proper thing to do. That way, we can all have a laugh!!!

Take care,

Cherie

11. Likes AuntieAlice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cherie,
    I was doing a square that way w/the ch4 and the sl st and I crocheted in the ring and because I didn't change color, after I went around the 4 sides, I didn't do a sl st and I didn't ch but kept going around the square so it's not exactly flat;there are a few wrinkles. Unless I crocheted more stitches in one row than another. So now I started to crochet in rows on one side and I'm going to crochet in rows on the other side and when I started that I forgot and only chained 1 although I'm doing a dc. But since that row I chained 2 at the start of each row.I just left the ch 1 on the first row. I'm making it into a rectangle.
    I started making the 'April Square' and then after the pattern was done continued making the square bigger. And since I chained 1 at the start of row on one side (forgetting to ch 2 since I was doing a dc) shouldn't I ch 1 at the start of row 1 on the other side even though it's dc so both sides are the same?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Search for square

Hi Cherie-welcome to this friendly site! Nice to know I am not the only "vampire" up til all hours. I was nicknamed Vampy in high school. Always been a night owl. I have an idea for your 8" square. Google " crochet 8" square pattern". Join ravelry.com. -it is free-and do a search. They have directions for searching free or pay for patterns. Also allfreecrochet.com is helpful. I'm sorry I don't know how to post links. But you will find them okay I am sure. Let us know if you find something. Hope to visit again soon! imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the group. It is a pleasure to meet you. Look around and enjoy meeting some really great and wonderful people.

Love & Hugs
    Debbie
    She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.

Proverbs 31:25