Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

What is your favorite basic hat pattern?

I am new to crocheting and have been getting a lot of requests from family and friends for hats. I have made several hats from a number of different patterns and have yet to find one that I really like. Do you like to make hats in continuous rounds or with a seam? Just looking for a hat with a nice fit to it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I have not personally done hats, but alot of members have done them. Did you find the answer you need in the forums? Thanks for letting me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried making making hats with seams. I usually make hats in rounds. Most of the hats that I've made were Berets. There are a lot of patterns for berets that are very easy to do! I enjoy making them though sometimes it can be tedious.

Post Thanks / Like
    My basic hat pattern starts with either 6 or 8 dc in a ring and then on each row you increase by the number of stitches that you started with. So if you started with 6 stitches in the first row, the 2nd row would be 12 sts, 3rd row would be 18 sts, etc . Continue in this manner until the crown is big enough.

Then work even until the hat is as long as you need it to be. If you make too many rows you can always turn up the excess and have a great brim!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

5. Likes Barbara G., lovebugs68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with crochetgal's pattern. It works wonders.
    Happy crocheting.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Thak you. Starting with 6-8 stitches is working better or me. I made a lot of hats starting with 11-12 stitches and didn't like the flat top it made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All,

I have just completed a different type crochet hat pattern. I found it on the Bernat web site under newborn hats. It is simply called the Bernat Baby Preemie Hat.

It is the easiest and quickest hat I think I have made so far. You chain 49 for this pattern, sl st the chain together to form a ring. Then work in rounds until you have an 8 inch piece. This gives you a tube shape. Just sc the top edge together going through both front and back at the same time. Then fold in the two points that the stitching makes, stitch the points together and fasten off.

Fold up the bottom and you have a cute hat.

I think it would also make a nice children's hat, or maybe even for an adult also with some heavier yarns. It would be so easy to enlarge this pattern, just make a chain long enough for other sizes, but always remember to make the hat just a little snug so it won't stretch out and be to large after being worn, as the yarn does tend to stretch.

My husband works in a food processing plant where it is 42 degrees all the time, so I have made him several different types of hats. Maybe he will like this one too. If you check it out please let me know what you think about it being Ok for an adult pattern.

Judi G