Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice about stiffening crochet peices.

I live in PoDunk Georgia and there is not craft store within 50 miles except for Wal-Mart. I have several peices that I want to stiffen. They are angels and so forth. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    depending on how stiff you want your piece, i have used spray starch. but i crocheted a cuff (bracelet) and used mod podge. it makes it very stiff but doesn't crack or break when sliding it over the hand to take it off and on. hope this is of some help

Post Thanks / Like
    This will sound odd but in a pinch, you can dilute a small amount of Elmer's Glue or any glue that is white in some water. Then dip your piece in it and shape as you would otherwise. When it dries, it is very stiff. We did this with some crocheted baskets we then stuffed with flowers for centerpieces for my daughter's wedding. The glue didn't discolor the work at all. It dried clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use 'stiffen stuff' from wal mart. it is an 8oz plastic spray (pump) bottle similar to hairspray. it seems to work well for my needs which are crochet hats with embellishments (shark/dolphin fins...). its cheap and easy to use. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    The spray starch works too. Also they saying never leave candles unattended is very good advice. I made candle holders and proceeded to put real candles and got the idea one night to light them in my bedroom. Stepped out to the loo and you guessed it, they caught fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks yall