Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Reading chart patterns

Hello crocheters,

I am a beginner crocheter, but I have already tackled on a few projects and my next one has proven impossible for me to read. A friend of mine has lended me her book and I have chosen to knit this collar, and even though I understand what each symbol means individually, I am not sure how everythig connects (see attached image). I am confused about the "end stitch" on both ends..which one is it? Also, after I chain the initial 31, what happens next? (I see an arch of more chain stitches going up row 1, but I am not sure how to knit this). Anyway help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    misssiss
    Attached Images Attached Images Reading chart patterns-00104-jpg Reading chart patterns-00103-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mississ.
    First you chain 37 and you work a sc into the 9th ch from the hook.
    Then you *ch 3, sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, sk 2 ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; and rep from * till you end with
    a dc in the last ch.
    I've never seen the label "end stitch" in diagrams before, but I'm guessing the designer
    wants you to repeat the 6 sts patt rep across until you work the end stitch, then turn.
    On Row 2, the first and 3rd dc's in each group are worked into the ch3-sp, not into the actual
    chains themselves.
    Let me know if you need any more help.

3. Thanks misssiss thanked for this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Misssiss,
    Welcome to Crochet Talk. We're glad you have joined us and hope you find the help you need. I see Charles has already offered you some help. You are in very good hands there! I hope you will post a photo of your collar when you finish it. It looks like a very pretty pattern. Have fun looking around and meeting everyone. ~~ Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to Crochet Talk! It is a pleasure to have you here on the message boards! Please pull up a chair and make your self at home here - this is a wonderful group of people we have on site! :0)

6. Thanks misssiss thanked for this post
    Likes misssiss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone and thank you for your replys! it might be a while before i crochet that collar so i am trying something a bit more basic. i am making a baby blanket for my first baby that should be born in three months and following this pattern, Ravelry: Easy Baby Blanket pattern by Lisa Collins
    Please see attached image, i must be doing something wrong on Row 3 as it is not looking like ot should. please advise and thanks!Reading chart patterns-image-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your clear instructions, Charles and thanks to everyone else for saying hello. I have decided to make a baby blanket for my first baby (on the way) and have come accross what is labeled as a simple (free) pattern,

Easy Baby Blanket

Note: Ch 2 counts as first dc in the dc rows. You can ch 3 if you prefer.

Row 1: Foundationless double crochet the width you want, ending with an even number of dc's. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: SC in 1st dc. Sc in space between 1st & 2nd dc, *ch 2, skip 2 dc, sc in space before next dc; repeat from * across, sc in top of turning chain. Ch 2 (or 3), turn.

Row 3: 2 dc in each ch-2 loop across. Dc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat rows 2 & 3 until you reach the desired length. End with row 3, but ch 2 (or 3), turn.

Last Row: DC in each stitch across, dc in top of turning chain. Ch 2 (or 3), turn.

Here is the link to it: Moved Temporarily

I have made a foundationless double crochet beginning row, but I don't know how to count my double crochets. (they have to be an even number). Do I count the first chain I made (I chained 3 to start with) or do I leave that one out?

Then, as per the instructions for Row 2, SC in 1st dc. Sc in space between 1st & 2nd dc, I do not understand this one bit. I understand how to do each individual stitch, but I do not know WHERE to do it. Where is my 1st double crochet? Then, where is the space between the first and second double croches? I have searched the internet and youtube for this, but know luck. Please help, as this is making me feel pretty silly, being labled as a simple pattern for beginners...

Thanks!
    misssiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I'm hoping these photos will help. Please click on them to see them full size.
    Reading chart patterns-dscf3465-jpg
    Reading chart patterns-dscf3466-jpg
    Reading chart patterns-dscf3467-jpg
    Reading chart patterns-dscf3468-jpg
    Reading chart patterns-dscf3469-jpg
    Next post will have last 2 pictures.
    Last edited by Charles Voth; 07-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last 2 photos to illustrate the "easy" baby pattern. :)

Reading chart patterns-dscf3471-jpgReading chart patterns-dscf3470-jpg
    I hope this gives you an idea how to count foundation stitches and where to work "in between" dc sts.

Best of luck.
    Let us know!

cv