Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Thread: Crochet Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet Problem

When a pattern indicates turn, chain one at the end of a row, do you start the next stitch in the same stich as the chain, or do you start in the next stitch? When the pattern indicates chain 2, it then states in next stich. It also says 2 ch counts as dc stitch. When you chain 1, does that also count as first stitch?
    I am working on an afghan and notice the sides are very uneven. I think I am getting confused at the end of each row with the chaining. For example, after I complete the row, do I also pick up the chain stitch from the last row as a stitch? I am coming up with the same amount of stitches the pattern calls for (99), but the sides are completely uneven. I am using a Home Spun bulky yarn for the first time and finding it more difficult to recognize the stiches because the yarn is wavy,so I have pulled this project apart numerous times and still come up with the uneven sides. The yarn is becoming frayed from all the start and restarts.
    Anyone have any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?
    I'd appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

Most patterns I have done which are not advanced on my part, usually have you skip the first stitch after turning. If your numbers are coming out when you count, my first thought is are you keeping your tension even when working on your afghan?

Although, when I have uneven ends, I usually have not crocheted the correct number of stitches across. More experienced members will be checking in as well to help us out on this one! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

When you are working in sc, the (ch 1, turn) does NOT count as a stitch in the row, unless explicitly specified in the pattern. This is because the ch 1 basically 'disappears' as you crochet... it cannot be seen. So when you work into the stitches in the next row, you work into each stitch and then into the top of the ch 1 at the end of the previous row.

However when you are working in dc, hdc, trc, or any of the taller stitches, in general the ch at the beginning of the row DOES count as a stitch. This is because the ch can be easily seen. In this case, you don't work into the 1st stitch, but work across the row and then place your final stitch of the row in the top of the turning chain from the previous row.

If you take a look at fig 5 in this set of notes, you will see exactly where you should be placing your first stitch in the row.
    How to Read a Crochet Pattern |

When using a yarn such as Homespun (or any yarn where its hard to see the stitches) I would suggest that you put a safety pin or stitch marker in the top of the turning chain so you can find it easier when you get back across the row.

As for the edges being 'wavy', that could be because your tension isn't consistent.

I hope that explains it. If not, please let me know and I'll try again.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

4. Likes Judi Gums, monika25, Beviboo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crochetgal,
    I thought that I should not be counting the first chain as 1, but in order to come out with the correct number of stitches, I had to count it, so I guess I am back to the drawing board..must be dropping a stitch somewhere else. In addition to that problem, I certainly have inconsistent tension. I tend to keep splitting this yarn or snagging it when I am trying to pull through multiple loops, so I then try to make the stitches a little looser to avoid that problem and end up with the bigger problem....those uneven ends. I think me and this Homespun Yarn are not a good mix.
    To be honest, I was getting so discouraged, I was ready to toss the whole project, but now I think I will try once more. Your idea re the safety pin sounds like it will help. Now if I can just stay consistent with the tension, I may accomplish this yet! If not, my cat seems to enjoy the yarn, I'll leave it uneven and call it a cat blanket!
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgale , I love your idea of a stitch marker in begining of turning row. I always have hard time me too with the final stich of row and I never though of putting a marker on it. Thanks a lot to janie to ask this questions, my life will be much more simplify because of you.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

I am so glad you decided not to give up on your afghan. Remember you can always do a SC border around the the afghan when finished......just remember to always make 3 sts in each corner. This may hide some of the differences in the tension.

When ever I have trouble with yarn that wants to split on me I always go up one or even two sizes in my hook. I tend to crochet a little tight as I give a little tug once my stitch is made and I try to always keep the yarn up close around the hook to keep my stitches uniform.

I love Homespun yarn, but I have only made open mesh scarves with it because it is difficult to see the stitches. You will be amazed how much easier your next project will be once you have worked with this yarn. And I love the idea of using a stitch marker at the top of the turning ch so you can find it easier when you finish the next row.

I use bobby pins (or hair pins) for my st markers, you just slide them on and off and they don't fall off like some commercial markers look like they would. Beside they can be found everywhere and there is no need to drive to far to get them.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Thanks Crochetgal,
    I thought that I should not be counting the first chain as 1, but in order to come out with the correct number of stitches, I had to count it, so I guess I am back to the drawing board..must be dropping a stitch somewhere else. In addition to that problem, I certainly have inconsistent tension. I tend to keep splitting this yarn or snagging it when I am trying to pull through multiple loops, so I then try to make the stitches a little looser to avoid that problem and end up with the bigger problem....those uneven ends. I think me and this Homespun Yarn are not a good mix.
    To be honest, I was getting so discouraged, I was ready to toss the whole project, but now I think I will try once more. Your idea re the safety pin sounds like it will help. Now if I can just stay consistent with the tension, I may accomplish this yet! If not, my cat seems to enjoy the yarn, I'll leave it uneven and call it a cat blanket!
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    You have all inspired me and I have put my project away for a few days and then start again and give it another try. Sometimes, I just need to walk away for awhile.
    I'm glad that it isn't just me who has difficulty seeing the stitches with Homespun Yarn. I'd go up on hook size if I could, but I am already at K, would the next size hook be N? At the rate I am going I may be searching for a Z lol!
    Guess it's alway good to ask questions, since the safety pin idea crochet girl suggested was a big hit for others as well.
    Thank you all for your suggestions....I'll let you know who wins this project..me or the cat!

9. Likes Judi Gums, soulangela2j liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are quite welcome.

Even after all my years of crocheting, I still tend to stay away from Lion Brand Homespun yarn for the simple reason that, unless you are able to crochet by feeling the stitches, it can be very difficult to work with.

I'd suggest that you just take your time with the afghan and if you find yourself getting frustrated, put the project aside for a few days.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

11. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie - the first shawl I did with Lion Homespun was with an 'N' hook. Sure made things a lot easier!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem, so much so as to discourage me from continuing the piece. Right now my crochet "stuff" is put away.