Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

2 different type of yarn in one project?

Hi everybody,
    I want to do little square with my scrap yarn to make a big blanket. My question is can I use 2 different type of yarn for that project. I have coton yarn and I have acrylic yarn too. As long as I make same size square to make it fit do you thing I will have other problem with this? If I wash it, do I'm gonna have problem because the yarns are not reacting same way?
    Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Monica,
    I believe you will have a problem with washing and drying. Cotton items tend to shrink. I would make it with all acrylic yarns for one project, and cotton for another.
    Caryn Joy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

If acrylic yarn gets too hot, it does not tolerate heat well either. Are the weights of the yarn the same? This is something to think about, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some acrylic yarn with same weights as the coton warn but I have also smaller acrylic yarn. If I use more stitch for the smaller acrylic yarn to get a square of the same size of the bigger acrylic one...Those two different size will fit togeter?
    Then I though what about blocking the piece, I'm wordering if it would help with coton vs acrylic on same blanket??
    But If it's too complicate, I thing I rather ge bye some new yarn to do my blanket!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Monika,

I think I would only use the same types of yarn together. I would hate for you to go to all the trouble and have it not wash well. The cotton makes nice dish cloths and pot holders, you could use it for that. I don't know how much of it you have, if it is a lot you could make table runners with it also.

Let us know what you decide.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Monika, if you mix acrylic and cotton, the piece will not wash & dry well.Some sections will shrink up and your piece will become uneven and look warped or misshapen. Your best bet is to divide the acrylic away from the cotton and do 2 different projects.

7. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you for your answer. So it's decided I will separate my type of yarn. Now I just have to check if I have ennough of each for 2 different blanket or if I do something else with it.
    But I have an other question, if the coton shring in the wash can I still make some sweater in coton yarn??
    Thanks again