Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

What to do with scrap yarn

I can't seem to discard yarn leftover from projects. Yet, there seems to never be enough left to make anything useful. Sometimes it’s part of a skein, sometime it's one or 2 skeins. I have made many granny square afghans to use these up but I am tired of doing that. Anyone have any suggestions for fun projects that just take 1 skein of yarn or less or maybe several if combining more than one color?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read an article on using scrap yarn to make granny squares. Here is a link to the site I just visited:

Fall Crochet Patterns – Free Crochet Patterns With a Fall or Autumn Seasonal Theme

There is also another link on this page, that goes to other scrap yarn projects. Hope this helps you!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another idea I think that might work (and one that i will also try soon) is to make amigurumi items/toys out of left overs from bigger projects. Anyone familiar with that japanese technique? Nothing complicated really...it's just working in rounds except you never really finish a round but instead keep going in a spiral. You know you will have finished one round by counting the number of stitches as directed in the pattern.
    FairyNatB

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Amigurumi are really fun to crochet and good for using up leftover yarn. They also make great toys and gifts. There are hundreds of patterns all over the web for all kinds and sizes of amigurumi.

I've written a few articles on crocheting with small amounts of yarn, as well as amigurumi:

Easy and Free Amigurumi Crochet Patterns - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Projects to Knit and Crochet from Scrap Yarn - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

20 Great Projects to Crochet from a Single Skein of Yarn - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Hope those help

6. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a blanket once using leftover yarn. It was very simple, just rows of double crochet, each row a different color. It was amazing (scary) how much leftover yarn I had!

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband asked for an "ugly" blanket he can use while watcing tv on the couch so I am using soe of the weirdest color combinations you canimagine. I have saved some of the prettier colors for something else. @Barb & Writer_crafter, thanks for the links. I have done granny squares to death but their were some other interesting patterns there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all! I was able to create some granny squares which I joined together and created a messenger bag. For the strap, I again made yoyo's from the scraps and joined them together using the flat braid method, just the same way I joined my granny squares. I haven't thought of how to make the closure though and that's what's delaying me from finishing this project. Or maybe I'm just really back to my bad habit of procrastinating again Anyway, I will post the pics once I get it done, hopefully within the month.

10. Likes kaisensei liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use partial skeins and leftover yarn to make flowers for hats, even use them to make hats, also as trim on a baby aghan. Lots of ways to use up extra yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought of making an 'ugly' afghan! That's funny! I think I will have to try that too. It would be an interesting conversation piece as well if anyone ever comes over and notices it. Who cares what it looks like as long as you will be warm right??

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the links writer_crafter and Barbi! I am starting to really take to amigurumi!
    FairyNatB