Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Repairing Damage

I made an afghan using the afghan stitch for my daughter some years ago. She went into the military and put it in a bow to store. A mouse got inside and chewed holes in the middle of the blanket. Is there any way I can salvage the blanket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Theresa,

I am really sorry to hear about the damage that has resulted to your daughters afghan. With some work, it is possible to repair the damage. I have not done repairs before, but it is obvious by these resources, other have:

How to Repair a Crocheted Bedspread | eHow.co.uk

How to Repair Crochet Thread | eHow.com

Sunshine's Creations.Vintage Threads Inc.: Part 1: Repairing crochet how to

There are more parts to the above link on the left of the page on site.

Hopefully some of these will help you??? I hope!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stablize the area with matching fabric. Then i would crochet a dimensional piece like a flower and leaves to cover the area with the patch. for the backside you could always make swatches in geometric shapes and sew them over the area and all over the back to make it fun. Or do geometrics on both sides. Just a few thoughts. Good luck with your repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you still have any of the original yarn you used for the afghan?

In the past, I've matched the yarn as closely as possible and worked a small patch to replace the hole. Then using the same yarn, I've stitched the patch in place, being very careful to catch all of the loose ends.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have any of the original yarn. It was a solid color background with an intricate cross stitch embroidery of orca whales and sea scapes on it. I will have to look again but I think all the damage was restricted to the background color/area. I may be able to patch it. It's just heartbreaking. It took almost 2 years to make originally. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, that does make a difference. Hopefully the damage is restricted to the background. If so then maybe dimensional starfish, or fish or kelp. something to go with the orca theme. Reweaving is a tedious business and really needs and expert hand to make it look original. I work at an alteration shop and the lady who owns the shop says that trying to hide a mistake or damage draws attention to the error. Make the damage part of the design element and suddenly it looks like it belongs to the original. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Arlette! That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I can make some patches from a similar background color, sew them in place and then cross stitch some fish or coral over them to make the patch less conspicuous. I just hope I can pick up all the ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay stitch or do a basting stitch around the hole. That will stablize the stitches and will keep it from raveling even if you miss one of the stitches. Good luck with the refurbishing of the afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is a a stay stitch?

Post Thanks / Like
    A stay stitch is a basting stitch that would encircle the damage area. Use a thread that matches the yarn. Stitch close to the damage edge but make sure you have anywhere from a quarter to half inch from the edge. This stablizes the area and prevents further raveling. Then you can go back and catch all those loose ends of thread. The work you put over the hole should cover the stay stitching. it is not a necessary step but it sure does help in the long run. On this type of project I would probably using a running back stitch. I just tried explaining this in words. Seemed complicated even to me. I have be out of the house most of the morning on errands. This afternoon I will drawing a sketch and post it for you. Till later.