Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello,

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and am from rockland county ny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! It is nice to meet you! My name is Barbara and I am from NE Oklahoma!

How long have been crocheting, or desire to learn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi msscher1,

What part of NY is Rockland? upstate, NE, NW etc.? I'm from NE Arkansas, just a few miles further south than you. What's the weather like up there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about 45 minutes north of New York City. Our weather has been very untraditional here. We havn't had the usual snow and cold that we have had in the past although, we are expecting a snow storm this weekend. I don't think it's going to be much though, maybe, a few inches. This is the first time I have ever tried to post on any website. I enjoy crocheting very much but, have some difficulty getting the sizing correct. I always make things a little bigger. I'm still trying to figure that out. I can follow a pattern with no problems and consider myself to be an interm crocheter. Is there an area I can get some help with this in this forum? Thank You and I heard you guys got a lot of snow so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barbara,
    I was taught to crochet when I was around 10. Gave it up and actually started again about a year ago. It is so relaxing for me. I work at an elementary school and as soon as everyone found out I croched they began placing orders for baby blankets, hats.......I can't count how many hats I have made especially for St. Patrick's Day. I really enjoy it and can read patterns well. I probably consider myself an interm crocheter. I would love to learn more about sizing. I have some difficulty with the hats I have made for the baby catagories. They are to big sometimes. I would love to open up my own website and be able to sell some of my wears. Right now the money I make goes to my sons baseball sessions without hitting into our pockets. I was looking for a group around where I live but I wasn't able to find anything close. I'm about 45 north of NYC and 50 min south of West Point. Let me know your suggestions for the sizing and thanks for getting responding.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had the very same problem with hats! When my granddaughter was born a year ago, I made her several hats--all too large. This year the hats were too small so she didn't get any wear out of them.
    At Christmas I made hats for everybody and I think I have figured it out. This tutorial helped
    Slugs on the Refrigerator: Patterns and Tutorials
    (you have to scroll down and find this article on her blog)

From what I've gathered from reading this and other articles is you have to measure the flattened hat at the largest part of the hat and multiply it by 2 to see how big around the hat is going to be. For example, my granddaughter's head is 18 inches around so if my hat is 8.5 (for stretch) -9 inches wide I think I'm doing okay. Then I measure the height. Many size charts have said 8 inches deep for her age. When I do 8 inches deep it covers her eyes! So I use 6 inches and it seems to work. So how many stitches do you start with? That's kind of what this tutorial is about in that you add in increments of 4 or 6 based on the patternwork. I'm not that far yet.

Here's a link to a hat size chart that kind of helps (like I said---my one year old grand daughter's head is not 8 inches deep!)
    Crochet Geek - Free Instructions and Patterns: Head Sizes for Crochet Hats