Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! New to Crochet Talk

My name is Jan and I have been crocheting since 1971, self-taught. My husband of over 40 years just lost a 5 3/4-year battle with brain cancer in Nov. 2011 (Thanksgiving Day). I devoted that time to caring for him so there was not a lot of time for crocheting or other crafts that I enjoy. I spent most of my crochet time (usually while waiting in the chemo clinic, MRI dept. or drs. office) making chemo hats to donate to our local cancer centers. It was disheartening to see how many I needed to make with the grey awareness ribbon for brain tumor patients. I am now trying to re-learn how to lead a somewhat normal life again. I spent so much time taking my husband for his treatments (4 hours away from home), getting him to regular drs. appts., caring for him at home, etc. that I can't get used to have such an unrestricted and unscheduled life now. So I am surfing the web for free patterns and checking out the new yarns that are available. My biggest project during our cancer fight was an awareness ribbon afghan for my husband. It is now my most prized possession because of all the comfort it provided him for almost 6 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jan,

Welcome to the group! I am sorry to hear about your recent loss balanced with inspiration in your creating and providing others with crocheted cancer hats. In your pain and concern, you reached out to help others. This is truly a giving heart.

I hope you will find time to be an active member of this group! We would love to hear about your crochet thoughts and ideas!