Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like

Doilies, place mats and coasters!

Hi there everyone, here are 2 pictures I just took of some of my crochet works; one is a big doily for my mum's dining table and the other is a place mat and the coaster (of which there are more) I made out of crochet 'squares'.
    Attached Images Attached Images Doilies, place mats and coasters!-100_1984-jpg Doilies, place mats and coasters!-100_1985-jpg 
    Last edited by fairynatb; 10-13-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    FairyNatB

2. Likes Barbara G., stitches liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FairyNatB,

Thanks for posting these! They are really nice!

I have not tried my hand at doilies yet. My grandmother used to make doilies all the time!

Do you feel crocheting doilies are relatively easy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed Barbara I think it is relatively easy to make doilies...they are my favorite items to crochet!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    FairyNatB,

I will definitely have to give it a try! My grandmother used to always crochet liitle "snow flakes" that we could hang on the Christmas tree. She dipped them in starch, I think. This made them stiff and kept them nice looking. I will have to do some research, she passed some time ago. But, it was always a nice thing to receive new snow flakes each year in different designs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried making doilies although I really would like to try it one of these days. I also don't have patterns for doilies, and haven't thought of searching for them. Most of the magazines and books I have are for wearables, or practical items like bags, scarves, cozies, etc. For my other patterns for the home items, I look for them online. I like the daintiness and delicate features of doilies and I remember my grandmother's creations - like bedspreads, curtains and table runners! - in the province too when I was little. I got reminded of them with fairynatb's post here

Post Thanks / Like
    I am happy I brought back good memories to you giftedchild! and Barbara, you definitely should try decorations. When made out of crochet they are long-lasting and delicate. I get most of my patterns online but my cousin's wife also gave me a few magazines she had.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey FairyNatB,

There is a new member who started a thread asking about making shaded doilies. Is that something you know about? She's listed under Newbie and her name is Kat.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Patti I've never made those but I sure know about doilies so I could have a look...I also helped Poppy with her baby afghan (sort of helped)...lol.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Those doilies are so beautiful! My grandmother also crocheted doilies and when she passed her stuff was given to me. Unfortunately, I was ten and didn't keep up with it all. But I did take up crochet because of it and so far am the only family member who still does it. So a tradition was passed on! Since joining this site there are so many projects I want to do but I just don't know where to begin!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Drice! My granma used to knit socks and other things but mainly socks...no one but my mum knew the basics of crochet so I taught myself.
    FairyNatB