Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yarn Type

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Type

Hi,
    I found a pattern from Caron for an elegant hat. The material states Simply Soft Heather yarn and size G crochet hook. I used Simply Soft in a sage color. It is also a 4 medium yarn.
    I am using a J hook and it is still smaller than I would like. I know gauges can be different, but from a G to a J seems off the charts. I don't crochet tightly as a rule, so I don't understand what the problem is with this. Both are 100% acrylic yarn. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the yarn between simply soft and simply soft heather that I am not aware of?
    Also, the gauge states - in single crochet, 15 sts and 14 rows = 4"/10 cm. I am having difficulty measuring stitches in the round. Anyone have any suggestions that would help?
    I'd really like to make this project. I'd appreciate any help.
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

Usually with number four yarn, it is recommended by the manufacturers to use size I to K hook. I know that patterns will vary by the hook stated.

Here is a resource which hopefully is helpful on measuring guage in the round:

How to Measure Gauge in the Round - For Dummies

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

By the way - welcome to the group! It is nice to have you on board! Others will be checking in a different times of the day and night, as well! They may be able to give you some different insights!