Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, It's me, Margaret

Hello, Just joined the site. I am in Windsor California, grandma of four. I am teaching my granddaughters to crochet. The eldest just began doing Arigurumi, she has made three monkeys for friends so far and is now working on Eeyore. One of the others has been making Scarves for Special Olympics with me this year, next we will move on to Caps for Cancer. The youngest has yet to be taught, she is left-handed so that will be a bit of a challenge, since I am not.
    I like to have something to do while watching tv so always have a project going. I really appreciate all the advice, tutorials and patterns that others are making available for the rest of us. Thank you. Margaret

2. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Margaret,

Hello and welcome! It is great to hear about working on projects for other people! It is also nice to hear about teaching your granddaughters to crochet! I am sure it is a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome Barbi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi it'smemargaret! LOL! (funny name)

Just want to second Barbara's welcome. I like Arigurumi, too but I am not particularly good at the embroidery/assembly that it takes so I am trying to brush up on/learn my embroidery skills.

Sounds like you are having so much fun with your granddaughters, love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Patti, ( re the name: you must have read the book too?) I am not very confident about the embroidery part either, I know the basic stitches but have not done any embroidery for years. I am trying out different ways to put the faces together. It is so much fun to have the girls interested in crochet (we tried knitting but it was too difficult at the time, maybe as they get older) and it has revived my interest also. I am having fun with all the new patterns out there, and so many helpful people on line who answer my questions, and all the tutorials...well, it is just very rewarding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great, Margaret!
    My only granddaughter is one....maybe someday.

I have bought a package of the googly eyes that I'm using now and I have noticed some pieces using felt which might be more my speed. The Googly eyes will work okay for things I give my four year old grandson because if they come off, he won't put them in his mouth and choke.
    It's a different story with my granddaughter--hence trying to do the embroidery. One good thing about doing things for her--she's not that critical about my sewing ability. As long as she can get it in her mouth, she's fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patti, You have loads of good time to come with your little ones then, it is so wonderful to see them grow and I am sure you will enjoy teaching them things when the time comes. Mine are growing up too fast, so I am enjoying every minute I can with them. My eldest is 18 but still her grandmother's girl! I bought some safety eyes for the arigurumi, you have to put them in during the crocheting process but they won't ever come out! (believe me: the first lot I put in the wrong place and had already snapped the washer part onto them...they do not budge! ) When my grandson was younger he wanted to do all the things the girls did but of course wouldn't be seen showing an interest these days! Enjoy yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Margaret!
    Okay I guess I didn't get the right Googly eyes--mine glue on, although there were no instructions to that effect whatsoever. I have seen the term Safety eyes--didn't see them I guess. Are they available at Hobby Lobby?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patti, I don't know Hobby Lobby, is it online? I finally bought mine on Etsy, at this link...they were reasonable and came very quickly, and she seemed to have a good range.

Animal Craft Plastic Safety Eyes Noses for Amigurumi by 6060

There are probably loads more places online, I just couldn't find any in my craft stores here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby Lobby is the craft store, along with Michaels and Joanne's, I have available in my area. I am surprised it isn't a national chain. They are available on line but when I need something like this, that's where I automatically think of going.

The link you gave me, however, has a much, much better selection! Thank you for this! Love the little googly eyes with eyelashes! They will definitely be something I'll be using for my granddaughter's toys!