Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Wrong Colors

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong Colors

Hi,
    I am just wondering if I am the only one who does silly things like this. I am on my 30th row of my afghan and decided to pull it out and change some of the colors I am using. I am just not happy with the corn meal, carrot, and warm brown like I thought I would be. I like each of these colors alone, just don't like them together. I kept thinking they would be OK but I am just not happy with it.

What I actually wanted for this afghan was shades of all the same color, but was unable to find it in the stores. I only have Walmart close to me, otherwise I have to drive over an hours one way to get to Michael's. So rather then holding off until I had exactly what I wanted I am now pulling out 30 rows.....ugh!!!
    I hope I am not completely alone on goofy things like this.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    No it's not wrong. In fact I did the same thing.
    If your not happy the afghan will just lay around for years. LOL
    Shirley

3. Likes taral liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shirley,
    Good to know I am not alone. It kills me to pull out that much. But I do look at it as wasted yarn if I don't like it. I have begun remaking it taking out the orange, adding white and a little pistachio colored green. So far I like it much better.

Happy hooking,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I did something like that before. I bought a verigated yarn and made a sweater out of it. The yarn looked good in the store but it made one seriously ugly sweater. Needless to say, the whole thing got taken apart!

6. Likes Irishjl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ewww, you had to pull out a sweater, bad enough to pull out an afghan, but a sweather is something else isn't it Catdoll?
    I tried one sweater years ago and neither I nor a friend who had crochet for years could get the sleeves on, that was all in off white though, so I used the yarn for afghans after that. Never tried another sweater. It just frustrated me so darn much.

I am working on this same afghan still, but now I have turned it into a multi colored one, just can't seem to get the colors like I want. I really like jewel tones and earth tones best, how about you?

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    You aren't the first and probably aren't the last to do this Judi.

Somewhere I think I still have my Red Heart Supersaver chart that lists the colours that work well with each other. But I would have thought that the cornmeal, carrot and warm brown would have looked nice together as well.

If ever you are looking for any of the Red Heart yarns that your local shop doesn't carry, please feel free to contact me. I've a very small yarn shop but I don't mind doing special orders for anyone. I order from Sewing, Needlecraft, Thread, Textile Manufacturing Company | Coats & Clark at least once every month.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crochetgal, I'll keep you in mind. Ohhhh, a yarn shop, what fun!

Part of the problem may be in me, I like earth tones, and jewel tones much better then any form of yellow normally. I look at yellow more as an accent color I guess, but I was trying to give it a try, and I do like the corn meal in good light. I kept finding myself drawn back to it. But in normal light in my house it looses something for me. Oh well, I will always find a use for it in the lapghans my group donates to the local nursing homes.

I wonder how many others have a color that doesn't do much for them? They say different colors promote different feelings in people.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean you aren't supposed to start a project, get frustrated with said project, rip out a good portion of said project, and then basically start the project over and it is completely changed up. Gee, that is the way mine usually go. Oh well, I try to tell myself this is a learning process. You would think that I had learned enough by now, but apparently not.

My favorite colors are burgandy and forest green whether it be yarn, fabric or whatever.

I am sure all will go great from her on. Deb

11. Likes taral liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is so good to know I am not alone quiltingdeb, misery loves company as they say....hah!

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a relief to hear that someone else does this. It's so hard to imagine a completed item. I just did the same thing with an afghan. Once I had three of the four colors crocheted, they just didn't blend like I thought they would. Now it's going to be just white with two shades of green and I'm much happier with it. I wonder if there is a computer app. that lets you plot out these ideas before we start. (Maybe a big box of crayons would accomplish the same thing!)

14. Likes taral liked this post