Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Changing Colors

Post Thanks / Like

Changing Colors

Hi All,

When changing colors I do not use any knots but I lay the new yarn on top of the old keeping the yarn going in the same direction and yarn over and pull up one loop with both yarns.
    Then ch 1 with just the strand of new color and pull both straggler ends rather tight (this is what holds it)
    Then when I hide the stragglers I crochet over them on the next row or weave them in going in two different directions so there is less chance they will pull out.

I hope I haven't confused you to much. I always find it easier to show how to do crochet then to explain it.

Happy hooking,
    Judi G

2. Likes Patti Hale liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You! I will definately try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Judi, that sounds a lot like what I do. I also take the new color and use the straggler end along with the feed line to crochet the first couple of stitches. This works it in intricately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Theresa,

It is nice to just crochet over top of the stragglers and not have to worry about hiding the ends later isn't it?
    Happy crocheting,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Hi All,

When changing colors I do not use any knots but I lay the new yarn on top of the old keeping the yarn going in the same direction and yarn over and pull up one loop with both yarns.
    Then ch 1 with just the strand of new color and pull both straggler ends rather tight (this is what holds it)
    Then when I hide the stragglers I crochet over them on the next row or weave them in going in two different directions so there is less chance they will pull out.

I hope I haven't confused you to much. I always find it easier to show how to do crochet then to explain it.

Happy hooking,
    Judi G
    Ok
    I understand everything up to the point where you say pull up "one loop with both yarns" ---seems like both colors would show then?

The way I'm understanding is that you yarn over the new color and this hides it until you're ready for it, right? Then you single crochet and start with the new color.

But that part about "one loop with both yarns" has me thrown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty,
    Once you pull both stragglers rather tight it pulls them down where they don't show much, then crochet as normal.....do your chains on the edge or what ever your next step is.
    Hope this helps. Give it a try with some scraps or even in your project, you can always pull it back out if it doesn't work for you. That's what I love about Crochet, everyone can do it how ever it works best for them. Let me know if you like it.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Hale View Post
    Ok
    I understand everything up to the point where you say pull up "one loop with both yarns" ---seems like both colors would show then?

The way I'm understanding is that you yarn over the new color and this hides it until you're ready for it, right? Then you single crochet and start with the new color.

Last edited by Judi Gums; 01-24-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, I will give this a try.

9. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    that is a good idea. i will try it. thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is a video some where showing this technique, maybe I can find it. Sorry I am not explaining this very well.

I over lap the new and old yarns together to do the very last loop of any given stitch. This pulls up the top loop of the stitch in both colors. Chain 1. Now is when you pull both of the stragglers down tightly and this puts them inside the stitch. Then YO in the new color only.
    Lay the stragglers on top of where you are working and work over them in the next row. This puts them in between the stitch and hides them.

I hope this is a little clearer for you.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Hale View Post
    Ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I tried this last night but I supposed I’m not coordinated enough because my second color would not hold, it kept slipping. I’ll keep trying.