Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crochet Stitch Request

I am looking for a crochet stitch that resembles ribbing in a knitting project (ie: knit 2 purl2). I have seen it on hats but cannot figure out how to duplicate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you are probably looking at is a combination of front post and back post stitches. If you look at the neck on this sweater
    Woman's Fisherman Sweater crochet sweater heirloom by crochetgal
    its done by doing one fpdc followed by a dc in the next stitch and repeating that pattern around.

(I'm not fond of back post stitches which is why I designed it without it.)

You can find directions on how to do the fpdc and BPdc here
    Crochet Stitch Instructions -- Free Instructions for Different Crochet Stitches and Techniques
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I can explain this properly. If you do your stitches around the post of the stitches on the last row the tops of the last row will look like ribbing. So, try this for a pattern square.
    1) Chain 23
    2) Double crochet in 4th chain from hook and continue to end. Chain 3, turn. (20 dc counting ch 3 as 1 dc)
    3) *Y O hook, insert hook from the back going around the front of the post of the 2nd dc of the lower row to the back of the post, Y O, draw loop completely around post to the back of the stitch. Y O, draw though 2 loops. Y O, draw through last 2 loops to finish making dc*. Repeat * * to last dc. Dc around starting chain of last row same way (from back, around front to back). Ch 3 turn.
    4) Repeat row 3 each row for a total of 10 rows.
    The tops of each dc will make your "ribbing" on each side of the swatch. You can also do this same pattern using half double crochet for a tighter look or you can even do it with single crochet but when you use sc you will have to sc for 2 rows picking up the top 2 loops of each sc of the previous row then sc inserting hook from back to front every 3rd row. This will be a very tight pattern.
    Hope I explained this ok and I hope this helps.
    Surroundmewithangels,
    Cheryl / Sculpt51

Post Thanks / Like
    The way I crochet ribbing for cuffs etc is after you've made the chain length you want the cuff (etc) to be and have turned and crocheted back to the beginning; every row after that you just crochet (whatever stitch you choose) in the back loop of each stitch. As you are looking at your stitches you'll see a loop...insert the hook in the middle of them and out the back of the rear half of the loop. Hope this is clear enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    The way beviboo describes it is the way I am making ribbing on a pair of spats that I'm making right now for my grand daughter. I posted a video from you tube showing how it's done in the resources section of the forum that explains it really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    You crochet your number of stitches for the length you want.
    I will tell you in DC.
    Row 1- chain 2, dc in each stitch across, dc in last stitch.Ch 2 turn,
    Row 2- fpdc, bpdc alternately across dc in last stitch. Ch 2 turn
    Row 3- bpdc, fpdc, alternately to last stitch dc. Ch 2 turn,
    Repeat row 2 and 3 until you have length you desire for the ribbing.
    Hope this helps.
    Hokeyman