PDA

View Full Version : Old crochet pattern does someone know of this?

Shaddy
07-14-2012, 07:18 AM
have been looking for an old pattern for years,it was from a book I believe 1978-1983 not sure. The book it's self is a craft book not solely for crochet,it is a Fall edition,the pattern was of "Crocheted Chicken Breadbasket" it is of a chicken that fits over a basket or bowl,it's wings lift up and there is a hole crocheted in to you can get to the goodies inside.The tail feathers are done in acolorful ripple crochet,I have see many patterns over the years but none are of the one I had made years ago. I believe the book was a Womans Circle,or Womans HouseHold, all I can remember it was a Fall book,there was a sewn turkey on the opposite page of the crochetd Chicken bread basket.The pictures were in color.I made many of these breadbaskets to give holiday homemade cookies in and the people loved them,but I had lent the book out and never got it back,can some one out there help me find this very old pattern. It was done in 4ply yarn.I don't know for sure the book I do remember the pictures were in color and the pages were shiny not the dull pages .Sure would love to find this pattern before I die,It's on my bucket list ,LOL.
:confused: Shaddy

Barbara G.
07-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Hello,

I do not have many older crochet resources. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you. I did a search online and came up empty handed. I will however keeps my eyes open! Sounds like a really neat crocheted gift idea!

Shaddy
07-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Hoping to get as many eyes looking as I can.
Shaddy

Maryjane
07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi Shaddy! I'll keep my eyes open too! Sounds like an interesting pattern!

DeaconsWife
07-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Hi there,

I didn't come up with anything in my research either. SO, when i want something I can't find, I try to find a way to make my own design of it. I know my Grandmother had one on her table that she made from a WorkBasket magazine pattern, but she made changes to hers. Keeping that 'model' I remember in mind, I'm going to 'reverse engineer' a pattern for you. Hopefully you will like it. :cool:

Shaddy
07-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Whoa!!!!!!!!! I love a gal that is smart in that regard, and thanks so much!
I am currently going thru things on Ebay, just as a precaution, but am doubtful I will find it, so have at it gal, what a genius you must be!!!!!!!!!!

DeaconsWife
07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Well, Shaddy, here's what i have done so far.

I came up with a way to make the head portion and then increase to go along the top of Hen's back to fit to the other end of basket (I used an oval basket, btw.)

I have guesstimated how many stitches it would take to span that distance, and I sorta sketched out what the other parts have to look like, the wing shape, for example. Then I borrowed from a very old ripple washcloth pattern to form the tail.

Now comes the part that's going to take the 'genius' work. I'm going to test what I have so far and try to tweek it along the way. When I have what I think is a workable pattern, I'll post pictures of the work so you can decide if this is what you want. ok? Remember, I'm working from a memory of something that was derived from a different pattern, so it might look a little different than the one you are looking for. LOL :p

Anyway, if you let me know exactly what size basket you are wanting your finished hen to fit on, I can tweek the pattern to fit those dimensions. That will make the pattern more useful to you. :D

And yes, I'll post the pattern for free, since I would love to see some of these vintage pieces come back to the home. Just chalk that up to the country gal in me. :cool:

Shaddy
07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I will have to take a day or so, and check my stash of baskets, going to be gone for several, please be patient?
Appreciate your assist in this matter a great deal, and look forward to seeing your handiwork.

DeaconsWife
07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Sure! That will give me time to play! Hehehehehehe! :D

Tami
07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I believe that pattern was in crochet word I ly remember seeing it

Shaddy
07-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Hard after all these years to remember clearly anymore, as the bottom of the page would give us a clue perhaps. You don't happen to remember when that was? i am still looking Deacon's wife, be patient?

DeaconsWife
07-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Is it permissible to post my pattern/work in progress here, or do I need to find a blog-site to put it on? Could a moderator let me know.? I know there are places to post pics. but this would be specific to this request so can I put it in this thread? Thanks for everything!! (Including making this forum available!!):eek:

hokeyman
07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
wendyspatterns ( Feedback Score Of 7258) on e-bay. it looks like the one you want.
i don't know how to put a picture on here but is for sale til august.

hokeyman

Shaddy
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
unable to find the source without a better link, sorry, but thanks for the info, will continue to search, and hope.

armybrat
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Here's the ebay link: CROCHET PATTERN to make a Hen Basket Cover /Tea Cosy & Chick Egg Cosies Easter | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROCHET-PATTERN-make-Hen-Basket-Cover-Tea-Cosy-Chick-Egg-Cosies-Easter-/170882581601?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item27c9654461)
http://i45.tinypic.com/111rw2s.jpg

Shaddy
08-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks young lady, but the tail is of interest to the lady seeking the pattern, she claims it is like a ripple pattern afghan, and she likes it, you know yourself, when you want what you want, you want it, and nuthin else will do. But, that said, she may have to make do with this, and I do so appreciate your interest in this pattern search. Keep up the good works.

Val
08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I got some old crochet mag given to me... some women household-McCALLS-Herrshners-womanday...will check them & see if I might have it.

Shaddy
08-10-2012, 08:06 AM
for allyour time and effort looking, I am not saying it is definitely in Womens Circle crochet, you know as well as I do, memories tend to fade with time, just to have you offer for this feat is so wonderful...
Much appreciated.

armybrat
08-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Is this closer to what you are looking for?
D754 Chicken Bun Warmer Egg Cozy Crochet Vintage Pattern | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310358669232&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en)
http://i45.tinypic.com/oury4j.jpg

http://www.treasuredheirloomscrochet.com/resale-kitchen6.html
http://i45.tinypic.com/24wexdl.jpg

Shaddy
08-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Deacon's wife, is your pattern similar to those posted on Ebay? I am gonna say this may be the closest we ever get to the real deal, and am hopeful that you can post your pattern here. Most interested. Thanks for all your work, and appreciate helping a stranger with a problem.

DeaconsWife
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I am working on the body of the hen now. It's going to be a while before I get the body shaping figured out. But wanted you to know I am still working on it. :)

Shaddy
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landon
08-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey, I found this on Etsy. Hope it helps.

Hen Basket Cover & Chicken Egg Cosies Vintage by YesterdaysMagic (http://www.etsy.com/listing/70993453/hen-basket-cover-chicken-egg-cosies?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_includes)[]=tags&ga_search_query=basket+cover&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

It says it is a PDF pattern.

Happy Crocheting,
Landon

twinfaye
08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Wow!!I say we will help and I am awesruck with the answers on here. I can't even imagine what this looks like. Can't wait to get the pattern!!

Shaddy
08-29-2012, 05:50 PM
sorry, this was offered before, just not close, I think AA's is closer, Henrietta bun warmer, but having the real deal of course, it bestest!

DeaconsWife
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
sorry, this was offered before, just not close, I think AA's is closer, Henrietta bun warmer, but having the real deal of course, it bestest!

The one I am working on is similar to the one found at this link that someone offered earlier, except it uses ripple-in-the-round for the tail and wings, and it has "Straw" attached to the bottom of it and the whole thing is designed to tie to a basket so it can be removed and washed. It's turning out so cute I'll post the pattern when I am done even if you decided it's not what you were looking for.

I'm taking pictures as I go so I hope that will help folks understand my directions. I am left-handed, blonde, and part idgit so I hope it makes sense to everyone else. LOL

Oh, and here's the link,Sorry
http://www.treasuredheirloomscrochet...-kitchen6.html
The one in the link is very pretty and the basket is crocheted as part of the piece, but it doesn't look quite like Grammy's did, so I am putting it together as I go. :)

Shaddy
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
dear girl, you are a wonder to keep on with this, I would have thrown in the corner long ago, but sure appreciate your ingenuity.
Looking forward to seeing the end result, and what a feather in your cap, no pun intended, to have redesigned sumpin and made it a usable article.
Keep on hooking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roxe
09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi Shaddy, my name is Roxanne. Let me look in my crochet patterns. I collect patterns (have over 1000) and alot of them go back to the 1960's. If I find it in there I will be happy to write out and send it to you. Happy crocheting!

Shaddy
09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
That would be so great, I have all but given up hope of ever finding it, and wonder, over the years if perhaps have gotten the magazine wrong, or ????????
who knows, been trying seems forever. Appreciate your assist, always nice to have another pair of eyes looking too.
What is your favored crochet media, thread, or yarn? Love them both, but prefer thread myself, and have many to share as well. Looking forward to hearing from you, whenever, and at your convenience.
Good hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roxe
09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I am hopeful in finding it for you. As I said I have over 1,000 patterns and have found many for others who could not find them out in public. Even had one offer to buy one of my older mag's (1969) because it features Eddie Albert ( from the show Green Acres) on the cover in a crocheted sweater. Also have quite a few of Vanna White b4 she became famous. I prefer working in yarn as I broke the same finger 2x and never had it set, so holding thread tends to make my finger ache to quickly and I have to stop. Whereas, w/yarn I can go quite a while and alot quicker.

Shaddy
09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
OK, will wait your response, hoping you get lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!

grannyb
10-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Did anyone ever locate this pattern? I have searched for this since I read the post for the first time, and also have had no luck.
My daughter has just recently purchased her first home, and she loves chickens. This would be a perfect housewarming gift for her.
I would love to have this pattern also, so I will continue to search and if I locate it I will let you know!
May you have a blessed day,
Bobbi

Shaddy
10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Please everyone hang tight, sounds as tho we have someone that has some real design skills, and am looking forward to having a pattern to use. I have a couple baskets that are just crying for a chicken top, so this might be the ticket for them. Good luck, eyes on the prize!!!!!!!!!!

grannyb
10-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Ok, I will keep checking back...and I will keep searching. I have a few boxes with older magazines stored away that I have not checked yet. Maybe the pattern will be in there. We can only hope!

twinfaye
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I love all of you that are trying hard to help one of us.

Shaddy
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
the mention was made of a certain mag the pattern would have been in, since that was checked thoroly, I do not believe it was in there, just an older magazine, with crochet, and sewing patterns in, could have been Stitch and sew or one of those CW Specials, the lady thinks something like 1978, perhaps into 1983 or above. One never knows anymore, it was an older magazine, the color pages were not shiny paper, that old timey paper, and colors, was an older Fall issue, perhaps came out 4 times a year or sumpin like that. Anyone that might have access to something to look thru, have exhausted my efforts, and ready to throw in the towel, just can't imagine anymore where it could be hiding.
More eyes to look, easier to find, I would think, and thanks to all.